Buying Advice Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #11  
I can't speak on behalf of the mahindra but the I have a L3400 and find it to be very capible.

Don't get hung up on specs. Test drive both tractors and let that be the deciding factor. The Mahindra total weight is about 50 lbs less than the kubota. So I honestly don't know what an extra 300lbs lift @ the bucket will gain you. I know on the 3400, ballast becomes the limiting factor. The tractor has with ability to lift the rears off the ground with a 5' mower and loaded tires. They could put a 4000lb capicity loader on it for all I care, Its not like it can actually lift that much unless you acnhor the back down.

I will also reccomend comparing apples to apples in regards to the loaded tires. Find out how much more the mahindra will be to load them. You will definatally want it. Right now their is about a $1500 price diff. and geting the mahindra tires filled will eat into some of that.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #12  
I don't seem to see where one tractors hitch system is better then the other! They are both position control!!!!!!

I hate having to do that!!! Higher load limits on loaders also make them slower! To have to fill larger capacity cylinders with near equal pump capacity will give a higher lift in lbs but will reduce the speed!

I often talk with customers about the rated capacities of loaders and what it means to them, there is safe load, which is what they can drive around and carry the load without tipping the tractor over. This will vary on tires and the balance of counter weight that might be added. The real end to it is when you go to pick something up and you can't!!!! That is the break out force and a number that many can relate to as they have found it well working with the tractor. It has nothing to do with possibly safely carrying the load but the fact that the hydraulics are moaning or the relief valve is popping!

Personally I've found the best way to have a good product is to find one that someone is proud enough to put their name on when building it. It sure has made it easy to find someone to take responsibility for there errors! I hate being between a customer and a wholesale sales rep that has no relationship with the builder.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #13  
Pardon my ignorance here on the loaded tires...

Why is it so important to have the tires loaded? One of my main factors was keeping the overall weight of the tractor down so I wouldn't bog down too bad in in Gumbo soil we have here on the Texas Coast. I can understand why it might be important on hilly ground etc, but what is the main benefit? Granted I used the tractor one time without the box blade on it and I will never do that again as it was not very stable but I would make sure I always had a mower, box blade, etc on the back and you should be fine. I like to keep the tractor as light as possible and I have never had trouble losing traction without loaded tires and the 4WD engaged. If you need more traction you can always hit the positive traction lever...

I can't speak on behalf of the mahindra but the I have a L3400 and find it to be very capible.

Don't get hung up on specs. Test drive both tractors and let that be the deciding factor. The Mahindra total weight is about 50 lbs less than the kubota. So I honestly don't know what an extra 300lbs lift @ the bucket will gain you. I know on the 3400, ballast becomes the limiting factor. The tractor has with ability to lift the rears off the ground with a 5' mower and loaded tires. They could put a 4000lb capicity loader on it for all I care, Its not like it can actually lift that much unless you acnhor the back down.

I will also reccomend comparing apples to apples in regards to the loaded tires. Find out how much more the mahindra will be to load them. You will definatally want it. Right now their is about a $1500 price diff. and geting the mahindra tires filled will eat into some of that.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #14  
Mahindra is #2 tractor manufacturer just behind Case and makes more tractors than JD now. So Mahindra is not going out of business anytime soon. I spent several months in rural India last year. Mahindra is the most used tractor in the fields (my estimate is that it beats all the other brands, JD, NH and Case included, about five to one) and apparently is built to take the abuse. Needles to say that the Indian models are different than the US one. No bells and whistles.

Mahindra offers 5 years warranty on powertrain. New 35 line looks very good.

We have TYM 330 HST/Mahindra 3310 (if I am not mistaken). So far no single problem. BTW the engine is Kubota. Wish I had one of the Indian models as they appear to be built really heavy.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #15  
Mahindra is #2 tractor manufacturer just behind Case and makes more tractors than JD now. So Mahindra is not going out of business anytime soon. I spent several months in rural India last year. Mahindra is the most used tractor in the fields (my estimate is that it beats all the other brands, JD, NH and Case included, about five to one) and apparently is built to take the abuse. Needles to say that the Indian models are different than the US one. No bells and whistles.

It's to bad that we had to open our borders with little or no tarriffs to protect the life style that our factory workers have grown accustomed to. Maybe we could get our factory people to take wage reductions back to ten dollars a day or less and then add taxes back on the imports!!! Ya right!

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #16  

Why is it so important to have the tires loaded? One of my main factors was keeping the overall weight of the tractor down so I wouldn't bog down too bad in in Gumbo soil we have here on the Texas Coast. I can understand why it might be important on hilly ground etc, but what is the main benefit? Granted I used the tractor one time without the box blade on it and I will never do that again as it was not very stable but I would make sure I always had a mower, box blade, etc on the back and you should be fine. I like to keep the tractor as light as possible and I have never had trouble losing traction without loaded tires and the 4WD engaged. If you need more traction you can always hit the positive traction lever...

Stability is the main reason. You can never have too much weight out back when doing loader worh IMO. Even if you arent doing loader work, just moving the tractor from point A to point B without anything on the 3ph, the weight of the loader will lift the back tires if you have to stop suddenly.
And if you get in the gumbo, the weight will help, otherwise, the fronts will burry and there wont be enough weight out back to do any good.

It is also "free weight" so to speak. Filled tires and wheel weights do not put anymore weight on the axles, bearings, 3ph, etc. In automotive terms this would be called unsprung weight, but tractors don't have suspension.

And if you are absolutly sure you don't want filled tires, like I said, compair apples to apples. Get a quote on the 'bota without filled tires. I'm not sure what kind of a deal they are cutting you with also buying a tractor, but I'd venture to guess it'll shave about $300 off of that $1500 price difference.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #17  

Why is it so important to have the tires loaded? One of my main factors was keeping the overall weight of the tractor down so I wouldn't bog down too bad in in Gumbo soil we have here on the Texas Coast. I can understand why it might be important on hilly ground etc, but what is the main benefit? ...

There are many benefits. The subject has been extensively discussed here on TBN, so rather than restate them, I'd suggest some searching of the forums here, and you'll get a lot of the "why" reasons.

The tires can be filled as much/little as you want, so you can decide how much additional weight to put in, but most tend to fill the max amount. My previous tractor had loaded tires. When we sold it and got the current one (used), the tires were not filled. We thought we'd try it that way and to see if loading was needed - didn't take long before we got 'em filled.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #18  
I would be go to the dealers and try them out.you would be surprised at differences on where things are and how the tractor fits you. Then pick up the books on the model tractors and compare everything. like how much the 3pt. hitch can lift.Whats the height the FEL goes to,whats the depth of digging and breakout force. and the weight of the tractor itself.

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #19  
DOWNNOTOUT, Check out both tractors in person, set on them, drive them if you can, get a feel of where all the controls are located. This may all sound like trivial stuff, but if you are going to be in the seat for any length of time, it sure is nice to be on something that is comfortable for YOU.

Kubota may be able to resell better-faster, but do you really think that you are going to sell your new tractor anytime soon, if at all? If you are, then Kubota may be a better choice for you. If not, then I would get the tractor that I liked best Mahindra or otherwise.

Mahindra 16 series tractors are built by Mitsubishi for Mahindra, they are a very good machine, not perfect as none are, but very good. I have had a Mahindra 3215HST for 15 months now, it has turned out to be quite a little work horse for me. I have been very satisfied with it's capabilities.

I look forward to seeing what you find out and decide on. ;)

/ Kubota L3400 HST or Mahindra 3316 HST #20  
I just wanted to ad ,since there seems to be some confusion, the Mahindra15/16 series is made in Japan by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and the loader in the US by KMW. I really don't think any part of it actually touches Indian soil, not that there's anything wrong with that.:D My tractor was actually assembled in Calhoun,GA about 2 hours from where I live. My dealer then drove there to pick it up.:cool:

The Mahindra tractors built in India are probably the best engineered tractors for their size/HP/weight VS $$ in the world...you may not know it but India has probably the best engineering school/university in the world today...from what I hear it makes MIT look like high school. Go ahead, flame away, but facts are facts.