kubota L35

/ kubota L35 #11  
There's one thing that certain -- it'll be harder to repair if you keep using the tractor! ;)

Block the front wheels up with jackstands and lift the rear-end up with a good floor jack.
Put the transmission in high gear. Range selector in high range. Shift into 4WD. Spin the front wheels by hand. Listen for "bad" noises.

Disengage 4WD. Put the transmission and the range selector in neutral. Spin the front wheels by hand. Listen for "bad" noises.

This can help you to determine if the problem is in one of the front wheel assemblies (planetary gears or bearings) or in the 4WD transmission.

AKfish

I would do what AKfish recommends right away... replacing a gear, bearing or a shaft is one thing...replacing the whole front end assembly (or something more serious!) is a whole nuther level of $$$$$.
(I didn't see where you said you checked the gear oil in the front differencial?)

Last edited:
   / kubota L35
when I spin the front wheels it makes a clicking sound like a tooth of a gear is missing. The sound is coming fron the center of the axle. Is 1300 hrs a lot of hours for this tractor? I think it was well maintained. Thanks for all your help.

/ kubota L35 #13  
when I spin the front wheels it makes a clicking sound like a tooth of a gear is missing. The sound is coming fron the center of the axle. Is 1300 hrs a lot of hours for this tractor? I think it was well maintained. Thanks for all your help.

That's not alot of hours for that tractor. They're a beast! Commercial operator's (with hired help) can dish out the abuse, though.

Well, that's where the ring gear and pinion gear are located... And, that's a more detailed repair (more $$$).

I'd try one more diagnostic attempt to isolate the problem while you've got the front end off the ground -- block one front wheel -- to keep it from rotating. And spin the opposite wheel by hand. Listen for those tell-tale, "bad" sounds. Do this for both sides. That will help to ensure that the wheel assemblies are not the issue and the problem is really in the "pumpkin" - differential housing.

AKfish

/ kubota L35 #14  

What's your mechanical ability? Do you have a repair manual?

Repairing the front differential on this machine is possible for someone that has handyman level talent..

Must do: diagnose problem (this will most likely involve some disassembly)
Must have: the repair manual...(good to have: a parts manual.)
Must have: a clean area to work.
Must have: basic mechanical ability, along with basic tools.

/ kubota L35
It makes the same sound even when I spin the wheels by themselves. Thanks for all your help

/ kubota L35 #16  
You already know there is a problem in the front end. While you still can remove the backhoe and eliminate that 1/2 ton of weight. It will be much safer getting it off the ground to fix.

I saw a year old B21 with a bad front differential. It was used commercially by multiple operators, never taken out of 4 wd and mostly used on paved surfaces. It is starting to sound like it may be expensive. Sorry.

MarkV

/ kubota L35
what manual should I buy that would tell me how to remove the differential? Thanks for your help

/ kubota L35 #18  
Generally, there are at least 3 manuals for a particular tractor, etc.

Owner's manual, Technical Repair manual and the Part's manual.

Having all 3 is not a bad idea...

But, in this case, you will need the repair manual and/or the part's manual.

AKfish

/ kubota L35
I just ordered one yesterday it should be here in a few days. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I'll try to take pics Thanks for all your help.