Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab

/ Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab #11  
I think people figure tractors are like cars and you need to trade them every 5 years or so,not me this is a life long purchase that I plan on keeping for 20 plus years if not more with proper maintence.

Not really. Folks buy tractors to perform a task. It's a tool. As the tasks change, so do the tools. And for some, the tools can be depreciated. If your level/type of work changes every five years, there's nothing wrong with changing the tools.

/ Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab #12  
I would say that proximity to the dealer is not so important if you get a Deere or Kubota. In the 3.5 years I have had my Deere 4120 I have not needed anything from the dealer except for oil filters and you can get them from the internet. For other makes with less certain reliability (thus much lower resale value), I understand where proximity to dealer is a bigger deal.

/ Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab #13  
I would say that proximity to the dealer is not so important if you get a Deere or Kubota. In the 3.5 years I have had my Deere 4120 I have not needed anything from the dealer except for oil filters and you can get them from the internet.
In the 7.5 years and 1200+ hours I've had my Kioti DK 35 I have not needed anything from the dealer except for filters, a tachometer cable and a fuel filter bowl and I got these over the phone.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab #14  
I would say that proximity to the dealer is not so important if you get a Deere or Kubota. In the 3.5 years I have had my Deere 4120 I have not needed anything from the dealer except for oil filters and you can get them from the internet. For other makes with less certain reliability (thus much lower resale value), I understand where proximity to dealer is a bigger deal.

Just becasue Kioti is not one of the "Big 3 or 4", doesn't make it any less reliable. If someone were really worried about that, then they are buying the wrong make of tractor. For me dealer proximity is a very small consideration. How often does one really take their tractor to the dealer? I've had my JD GT at the dealer once in 17+ years. I expect the same from my Kioti too. Most parts are just as conveniently shipped to my front door, maybe even more so than driving and waiting at the dealer.

/ Kubota L4240 cab or Kioti DK45SE HST cab #15  
Not really. Folks buy tractors to perform a task. It's a tool. As the tasks change, so do the tools. And for some, the tools can be depreciated. If your level/type of work changes every five years, there's nothing wrong with changing the tools.

A large number of owners do not use their tractors for business. So, there is no opportunity to depreciate. Besides, an automobile or truck is also just a tool. And many many do keep both their tractors and their vehicles for a very long time, but probably keep the tractor even longer.

Yeah, if one is in the situation where they are replacing their tools every few years, then it makes since to buy the ones that are the easiest to sell at the highest resale price. But, for those that do purchase once for their lifetime, as long as it is reliable and parts can be had, then resale value means nothing.

I look at like this, I take that $3000 saved by not buying the "better" brand and invest it for the 20+ years that I'll own that tractor. I'll bet ya I'll come out way ahead even if I give my tractor away at that point. It's the time value of money that long-term purchasers should give greater emphasis.

And if Kioti's are as good as I think they are, in 20 years they will have established their own reputation for quality and I'll get every penny of what it is worth if I do ever sell it.

Now, if you have to sell within 5 years of original purchase, you might have to take less. But, to Wallace's point, you paid less to begin with. Here's a real life example: Local guy buys a TYM T273 with loader. Pays about $11K for it. Has to sell in with just 75 hours. Gets $8500 for it. Similar tractor, Kubota 7510 with loader. Guy pays just under $13K. Sells it with less than 200 hours for $10,500. About the same depreciation. For me, the TYM was a way better deal too.