Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation #1  

rkhpapa

Tractor
Kubota L4400
Has anyone ever installed this block heater? I'm looking for hints before I start....
Thanks

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation
Don't have a picture. I'm talking about the one that goes in place of a freeze plug....not the one that goes into the radiator hose.

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation #4  
I have put many in before, but not on a Kubota, use a flat punch and gently tap inward near the edge of the freeze plug to get it cocked at an angle in the hole. Then use channel lock pliers to get a hold of the opposite edge that came outward and pull out. Clean hole with emery cloth or sand paper and install heater as per instructions. Have to drain coolant of course. Most of the time they have a o-ring that seals in the block and you snug up a screw in the center of the heater, not to tight though. The instructions will usually tell you what plug location to use and element orientation. It looks like on mine it will probably be the right side rear plug.

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation
Thanks, Blagg. I'll give it a try.

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation #6  
It's not hard, but you should know that I've had many block heaters rust out when the factory core plugs were still near perfect.

I have started my Kubota L3410 at very cold temps down to -30F with no block heater and it is in an unheated shed. And that is with the 8 year old factory battery. Sure, they start and run better with a block heater, but not needed.

jb

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation #7  
element orientation.

This is the first time I seen this mentioned. Could you please explain the whys as it could save some folks a lot of irritation.:D

One my little tractor it came from the dealer with an inline heater installed upside down as that was the easiest way to put it in!:D

Needless to say it did not work at first. The replacement I bought is still sitting in the basement somewhere. :eek:

/ Kubota L4400 Block Heater Installation #8  
Has anyone ever installed this block heater? I'm looking for hints before I start....
Thanks

I put a frost plug heater in my Iseki TX 1500 and I put a radiator hose heater in my Massey Ferguson 1215. I love having a block heater!

Be sure to clean the hole out real good to give the O-ring a good place to seal. Do it right the first time as I discovered that if you have to remove it for any reason to re-do it, it's a lot harder to line up and install the second time. When I was doing mine, a few of the guys here on TBN suggested using a small film of RTV to help lubricate the O-ring while putting it in and to help it seal.

Additionally check with your dealer. I was going to put a frost plug heater in my Massey until the dealer explained that there's not enough room between the block and the cylinder wall. Ask your dealer what block heater your tractor uses. It's usually cheaper to buy the block heater from Checker auto or someplace like that once you know what size it is supposed to be.

Here's a link to the advice when I did mine...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/85816-frost-plug-heater-installation-question.html

Last edited: