Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #1  

PsRumors

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
If all goes well I will be picking up a new to me L45 in the AM. It is one owner, 850 hours and has the hydraulic thumb.

Other than the obvious (operation, fluids, leaks, play in the pins) is there anything in particular that needs to be checked, anything specific to the L45?

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #2  
Lucky you!

I have never owned a tractor until my first new purchase last year so I didn't know my ***** from a hole in the ground. :laughing:

I think now I would make a check list and check off each item as I go through it. If you can widen the rear tires have the dealer do that before delivery.

Also pick up 4 tubes of grease and a good grease gun (if you don't have on already). I greased every connection after delivery as there is no way to really check.

I found a good Messicks video.

What to check after new tractor delivery - YouTube

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #3  
If bought from a dealer, they should mark every bolt with a sharpie after the check it is tight. Nothing has ever loosened on mine except for the FOPS.

Check all hoses, Lube the joystick & shift lever, & have them set hydraulics at just under 3,000 psi.

Good time to add remotes.

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #4  
Sorry I can't help with an answer.

Congrats on the purchase!!! We like pics!!!!

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #5  
If all goes well I will be picking up a new to me L45 in the AM. It is one owner, 850 hours and has the hydraulic thumb.
Other than the obvious (operation, fluids, leaks, play in the pins) is there anything in particular that needs to be checked, anything specific to the L45?

I think you will be impressed with any model in the Kubota TLB series. As long as the one owner wasn't a rental company I think you'll be OK. These TLBs are somewhere between utility and construction quality. At that age/hour it should be fine other than the normal bumps and bruises. It's time for a new battery and probably the a couple of the backhoe hoses will show some scuffing. Check that the bottom lip of the FEL is straight and not bowed. Simple things like that.

850 hours is close enough to what I have on the M59 that I ought to have more to add....but I'm kinda surprising myself because I can't think of much. Just drive it around and see how it feels. What does your gut say? I can say that at that age it should still be tight everywhere...even in the backhoe bucket pins. Note that a QC bucket has more slop than a pinned type.
The motor and transmission should not be showing any particular wear. All the switches working. Controls smooth. Check that the 4wd engages and disengages smoothly. Hopefully the diff lock has never been used... but check that it works. Do NOT try to engage it if you are moving at alI.

About all I can offer is to compare with our M59 because it is about that same age and it lives outside, works hard summer and winter. The only babying it gets is regular oil changes, clean fuel, and a tarp over the operator's platform. It looks older than when it was new, but frankly it works about the same. Oh... BTW, on mine the BH swings far enough to hit the steps on the stabilizers - so those have gotten bent a few times... but that hasn't affected anything.
Good luck tomorrow,
rScotty

/ Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #6  
   / Kubota L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection #7  

Congratulations on your L45. It is a REAL TLB!
You will LOVE it!
I have a slightly older/slightly bigger cousin L48 TLB, (251 hours), that I bought last June.
The mid size dedicated Kubota TLB's are fantastic machines.

Mine has 3 rear remotes, plus 3rd function.
I think the 3rd function is going to be really handy for me.
Ordering a grapple soon!
I plan to keep my L48 FOREVER (no idea how long at 79+).