Comparison KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #11  
One thing that jumped out at me is the larger displacement of the Kubota engine. It shows less hp but I wonder in real world if it doesn’t make more torque. They look even otherwise with the LS being a little heavier, but ballast can be added.

You don’t list how you are going to use it but have you considered an Hst machine?

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150
One thing that jumped out at me is the larger displacement of the Kubota engine. It shows less hp but I wonder in real world if it doesn稚 make more torque. They look even otherwise with the LS being a little heavier, but ballast can be added.

You don稚 list how you are going to use it but have you considered an Hst machine?

NOTICE that LS HP is listed as "GROSS" and KUBOTA is listed as "NET"... Notice also the PTO HP for each and HP losses/inefficiencies and when/where/why they occur... MY guess is the KUBOTA may actually have more HP/torque... Their lifting capacities are also slightly higher than LS...

KUBOTA L4701DT torque was listed as 107.8 ft lbs. (I did not see the LS XR4150#)...

I am a little leery of any 3-cylinder/small-displacement engine that is over-racked with fuel injection/wound-tight with a turbo in order to wring-out/manipulate the HP... My guess is that IF I wanted to get more HP from the NA larger-displacement 4-cyl KUBOTA I suppose it may be possible to do the same... But again, I am looking at the right balance/longevity/MTBF/simplicity/torque, REAL/USABLE/CONSISTENT/DEPENDABLE...

I like/prefer the synchronized shuttle transmission, and 8 forward/8 reverse is PLENTY... NOTE: There is also a loss/inefficiency of usable HP with the HST...

My list of uses is LONG/VARIED...

Some of the weight numbers and other specifications are VERY 'relative'...

The LS XR4150 is a VERY NICE machine with some very nice features/specifications/capabilities at a good price... I just think that for MY money/applications the KUBOTA L4701DT is more suitable... We'll see...

Last edited:
Awesome man, congrats!!! I love the L4701, nice power to size ratio.

Now you can do this!: Is a grapple bucket really worth it!!!! - YouTube

YUP, I saw this and I am looking forward... A GRAPPLE bucket is one of the implements I am hotly researching... I am having a little difficulty deciding on the OPTIMUM size (for the KUBOTA L4701DT, 60"/66"/72") and some of the possible options... I value maneuverability as much as capacity... Size DOES matter and it is possible to be TOO BIG...;+)

Last edited:
   / KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #15  
YUP, I saw this and I am looking forward... A GRAPPLE bucket is one of the implements I am hotly researching... I am having a little difficulty deciding on the OPTIMUM size (for the KUBOTA L4701DT) and some of the possible options... I value maneuverability as much as capacity... Size DOES matter and it is possible to be TOO BIG...;+)

Good plan, I think. Speaking just as an observer who did not get a grapple, but seriously could have used one, many grapple setups are heavy and were designed for heavier equipment with more hydraulics than a CUT. A killer grapple looks awesome, but it may limit the actual payload you can lift. Try to find a good balance of something made well but won't overmatch your tractor/loader.

And congrats. on the new tractor! Pictures welcomed!

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #16  
Neither an inline triple or four has perfect balance. The four with near standard 180 degree crank throws has perfect primary balance but a secondary imbalance. A 120 degree inline triple has a rocking couple. Both need balancer shafts to be smooth. (even then they'll buzz more than a 90 degree V engine). The NA four is going to be heavier than a turbo triple of the same HP. Weight cuts perceived vibration, and also with tractors weight is often useful.

Of course there's other reasons to choose an engine, for example a personal preference for turbos or the sound and feel of a triple. I've had a lot of turbo cars and triple motorcycles. I'm happy with the smooth counterbalanced NA four in my tractor. The NA triple in the 3520 sounded more tractor like but the 3725's engine is smoother and quieter.

Some companies make light grapples for CUTS. Everything Attachments is one. Mine should arrive in a few days. If you're doing a lot of loader work you might consider an HST.

Neither an inline triple or four has perfect balance. The four with near standard 180 degree crank throws has perfect primary balance but a secondary imbalance. A 120 degree inline triple has a rocking couple. Both need balancer shafts to be smooth. (even then they'll buzz more than a 90 degree V engine). The NA four is going to be heavier than a turbo triple of the same HP. Weight cuts perceived vibration, and also with tractors weight is often useful.

Of course there's other reasons to choose an engine, for example a personal preference for turbos or the sound and feel of a triple. I've had a lot of turbo cars and triple motorcycles. I'm happy with the smooth counterbalanced NA four in my tractor. The NA triple in the 3520 sounded more tractor like but the 3725's engine is smoother and quieter.

Some companies make light grapples for CUTS. Everything Attachments is one. Mine should arrive in a few days. If you're doing a lot of loader work you might consider an HST.

Which Grapple (size/model/options) did you order?

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #18  
Think about that rear blade at only 72". You angle that over at a 45* and you now have a cut width of about 50". Seems a bit narrow to me. Even at a 30* angle, you would be at about 62" wide.

You may want to consider an RB3784 or even an RB3796. Not only wider, but quite a bit heavier and will work much better for grading.

Something to consider. ;)

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #19  
I ordered the 60" Wicked double lid. The bucket on the 3725 is 67" inside and the outer edge of the tires with 2" spacers is a couple inches more than that.

I had a hard time deciding between the 66" and 60". My uses will include brush (coyote brush and poison oak), logs, and cut firewood length rounds.

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #20  
Unless there are other factors, I'd always prefer a three-cylinder over a four-cylinder in a tractor -- they are a lot nicer to live with in terms of smoothness and vibration with or without a cab. But generally I look at the overall package and make a decision based on all the factors, not just the engine.