Kubota L48....stiff steering?

/ Kubota L48....stiff steering? #1  

Jason280

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330
I have an '03 Kubota L48 backhoe, one owner with just under 800hrs. Just had the complete 700hr service done, and while there, had the dealer repack/repair a leaking hydraulic cylinder on the boom.

Get the tractor home, and don't use it for a few weeks...notice the steering was a little stiff. Check the hydraulic fluid level, and nothing on the dipstick....7+ gallons later, finally get the reservoir full. Apparently, the dealership never checked the fluid level while repairing the cylinder. In defense of the dealer, I have *no* idea how low it was before they did the service.

Anyway, the steering is still stiff. Best way to describe it, it almost feels like driving a vehicle with no power steering in a parking lot at 2mph. Now, it's not this way all the time, but often enough to be aggravating. It will still steer, but certainly not as effortlessly as it should. I've jacked up the front with the bucket, and seems to be the exact same with the tires off the ground.

I've gotten nowhere with the dealer, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue?

/ Kubota L48....stiff steering? #2  
Don't know but sure would like to find out too. I have 3 B2150s and one of the three (the only one which is an HST) is very sluggish steering. Hard to turn nearly as if it lacked power steering. Not that bad but almost. It has no FEL so I cannot just easily take the weight off the front end. It operates just fine (all speeds, hydraulic performance aside from steering, etc.)

/ Kubota L48....stiff steering? #3  
I have an '03 Kubota L48 backhoe, one owner with just under 800hrs. Just had the complete 700hr service done, and while there, had the dealer repack/repair a leaking hydraulic cylinder on the boom.

Get the tractor home, and don't use it for a few weeks...notice the steering was a little stiff. Check the hydraulic fluid level, and nothing on the dipstick....7+ gallons later, finally get the reservoir full. Apparently, the dealership never checked the fluid level while repairing the cylinder. In defense of the dealer, I have *no* idea how low it was before they did the service.

Anyway, the steering is still stiff. Best way to describe it, it almost feels like driving a vehicle with no power steering in a parking lot at 2mph. Now, it's not this way all the time, but often enough to be aggravating. It will still steer, but certainly not as effortlessly as it should. I've jacked up the front with the bucket, and seems to be the exact same with the tires off the ground.

I've gotten nowhere with the dealer, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue?
First, try BLEEDING any air from the steering system by raising the front wheels, speeding up the engine, turning the steering wheel slowly full stroke both ways a few times.

The steering gets oil from the front chamber of the dual front pump, driven by a shaft from the engine. If the other hydraulics seem to work ok, the problem is likely elsewhere - in the controller or relief valve. Best luck, Dick B

Last edited:
   / Kubota L48....stiff steering?
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to give it a try. I ran it for about an hour today, and it seemed to get better....but definitely still there.