Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please

/ Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please
Re: Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...Getting it fixed!

Nothing like walking in on open heart surgery. My leak got to about a gallon every 10 hours of operation so I bit the bullet and am having it done. I've always wanted to see what a split tractor looked like, so went to the dealer to look. Glad I didn't try it myself. They actually found two seals that were bad...plus some worn parts. I'm going to need to be sitting down when I get the bill, for sure. It's the first serious expense I've had with the machine, so I'm not too disappointed. Glad I didn't try to do this myself.

Attachments

• Kubota 10.jpg
    Kubota 10.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 333
  • Kubota 1.jpg
    Kubota 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 244
  • Kubota 4.jpg
    Kubota 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
  • Kubota 3.jpg
    Kubota 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 278
  • Kubota 6.jpg
    Kubota 6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
  • Kubota 5.jpg
    Kubota 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • Kubota 7.jpg
    Kubota 7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • Kubota 9.jpg
    Kubota 9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
  • Kubota 8.jpg
    Kubota 8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
  • Kubota 11.jpg
    Kubota 11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 274
   / Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please #12  

Looks like Townline...you may pay for it, but it will be done right and they stand behind their work. I am hoping they will have our new tractor ready any week now...just waiting for the radial R1s to come in. Good luck with handling the bill.

Mike

Looks like Townline...you may pay for it, but it will be done right and they stand behind their work. I am hoping they will have our new tractor ready any week now...just waiting for the radial R1s to come in. Good luck with handling the bill.

Mike
I was a little nervous, as I have a friend who had a bad experience with them. When I visited they dropped on me that the air conditioning had a leak and the entire hose from (what I think is) the desiccator near the battery up to the cab roof needed to be replaced...for nearly $900! I'm going to ask for an itemized invoice. And pray.

/ Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please #14  

Please keep us posted. Mine is leaking a steady stream after it's been working hard. I try to keep it topped off since I use it for my job. I keep hoping it'll jump off the trailer and drown itself in a pond so KTAC can deal with it! Ha! I'm so busy right now I can't put it in the shop but it's costing me a plenty in terms of UDT2 fluid.

Let us know how it all shakes out.

/ Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please #15  

I was a little nervous, as I have a friend who had a bad experience with them. When I visited they dropped on me that the air conditioning had a leak and the entire hose from (what I think is) the desiccator near the battery up to the cab roof needed to be replaced...for nearly $900! I'm going to ask for an itemized invoice. And pray.

I am getting ready to buy my second tractor from them. I have bought two excavators (traded the first in towards the second). My Father bought a B3000 from them 5 years ago. We have bought several implements. I know on one excavator we could have saved a couple thousand dollars. I asked why I should pay more there than the other place. This was our first buying experience with them. They said they offer a 50 hour service at my place (they provide the skilled labor and I paid for the parts). They also said the other company does not have the equipment to haul several medium sized pieces of equipment. They were not sure about standing behind their product, but Townline said they would.

The 50 hour service is very nice. I could ask several questions and get good answers outside the scope of the service. Plus there were several tips throughout the serivce to help improve longevity of the equipment.

Then I had a piece break on my L4240...it went into a limp mode. I called them about 2pm one afternoon (Friday IIRC) and they said it would be 2 weeks before one of their service trucks could come out. They said I could bring the tractor down now and they would look at it. The limp mode allowed me to load it. I was there about 3:30. I was on my way by 4:30 with a part they took off a new tractor to get me going. While this was a warranty repair, I felt the treatment was very good.

Definitely talk to them about your concerns and see if they can help you out anywhere. I usually buy my parts at their open house to help save on cost of maintenance. I don't doubt prices vary and some have different experiences, even frequent customers can get and off experience. Best thing to do is be up front and ask. I found I get what I pay for and I have been happy there.

Good luck,

Mike

I got my machine back and it's perfect! No more leak, and the remotes are a home run. As for Townline, I'd have to agree that the service was really stellar. I had it there Sunday night, and by 5 pm Monday they had it completely apart, and ordered a part or two they didn't have. Out of curiosity I priced the most expensive part (the stupid air conditioning hose that runs the length of the tractor, and had nothing to do with the original problem) on Messicks. With shipping it would have been around $700. They charged about 15% more, which does seem like a lot, but for parts you can't install yourself, I'm good with it. The thing about paying for good service is that the price bothers you only while you're paying the bill; Having a properly maintained machine, serviced by people who know what they're doing, is really worth it in the long haul, in my opinion. Just wish they weren't so far away; hauling alone was $400.

It still bugs me that a failure of a part such as a seal or O-ring can lead to such an expense to replace, but I guess that's the price of owning machinery.

Attachments

• Kubota Invoice.pdf
    898.2 KB · Views: 173
Uh Oh. A couple days after I got the machine back, it's like the power steering went kaput. Read the manual, and it advised bleeding the system by turning the wheel lock to lock, shut the machine off and then on again. That seemed to work, but a couple days later, the same thing happened. I'll call the dealer on Monday, but any thoughts on what might be causing this? The last time it happened, at the very same time the steering was heavy, I pushed on the foot accelerator and got almost nothing. Then after a couple seconds, the machine took off and the steering worked. Like it had no fluid or something. But it's full of course. Stumped.

/ Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please #18  
Sounds like there is some air trapped in the lines or a small leak allowing air to enter under certain circumstances. Check the fluid levels and fittings for the power steering.

Mike

/ Kubota L5240 Hydraulic leak...need help please #19  
On the right side where the hood ends at the dash panel. There is a rubber hose and it had to be removed to split the tractor. Check the clamps and cracks in the hose, You must be sucking air into the system, that hose is known to crack.

On the right side where the hood ends at the dash panel. There is a rubber hose and it had to be removed to split the tractor. Check the clamps and cracks in the hose, You must be sucking air into the system, that hose is known to crack.

Would one expect this hose to affect both the steering system and hydrostatic drive? Trying to figure out if it's my imagination, but I thought that when the steering became hard, and I stepped on the throttle, the tractor either didn't move forward, or moved forward slowly. Then all of a sudden, when the power steering started working, the tractor took off. Finally, after starting up, and warming up, lifting the FEL off the ground, I seem to feel a "chug-chug-chug" kind of jerkiness.

The dealer said the hydraulic pump and steering pump are two completely different systems, but if this hose is common to both, it might be the culprit; they're coming tomorrow to take a look.