Buying Advice Kubota L6060 Questions

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #21  
I would call yours fuel efficient compared to my L5740 because I went through an average 7 liters per hour last winter clearing snow, using a rear blade ant the front loader. I am speculating a front blower takes more power than blading or scooping. The bare engine numbers suggest the 6060 engine is less thirsty than the 5740 engine - will be looking for others who can confirm.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions
Hi All! I want to update you on my purchase - a fully loaded L6060 HSTC, complete with air ride seat, mid pto, front weights and grill guard, 3 rear hydraulic blocks, hydraulic top link, swinging drawbar, 14.9-26 rear ag tires with wheel weights, custom Michelin XM27 front tires with fluid, Bluetooth cd stereo, custom toolbox, draft control, and the best part - Trimble FMX with EZ-Pilot Autosteer and RTX corrections (1.5" repeatable). I've had the tractor now for about 6 months and 200 trouble-free hard hours - could NOT be happier! In this current category of machine, do not let anyone tell you there is a better tractor! When it comes down to using this tractor in real-world commercial field conditions, it's many features shine above the competition. The Kubota exclusive hydraulic dual speed is simply a must-have; it allows you to easily gear down for making headland turns or whatever without deactivating the cruise, adjusting engine speed, etc. And the big deal maker with this tractor - a category 2 hitch. This alone speaks to the capabilities of this machine and is something the competition simply doesn't have. The cab is huge and quiet, the HVAC is unbeatable, it is well balanced, the controls are all ergonomic and well placed, easy to service, one piece hood, intuitive dash, very fuel efficient, the list goes on - it's an awesome tractor! And if your wondering about the DPF and emissions - well, it takes quite a few hours before the filter reaches 100 percent, and it does have a indicator to show you the current percentage. Honestly, the FT4 emissions is nothing to worry about - it makes for a quieter, cleaner more efficient engine.

I would post some pictures of this beauty, but....I can't, due to confidentiality. But if anyone has any specific questions about this model, don't hesitate to ask.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #23  
Hi All! I want to update you on my purchase - a fully loaded L6060 HSTC, complete with air ride seat, mid pto, front weights and grill guard, 3 rear hydraulic blocks, hydraulic top link, swinging drawbar, 14.9-26 rear ag tires with wheel weights, custom Michelin XM27 front tires with fluid, Bluetooth cd stereo, custom toolbox, draft control, and the best part - Trimble FMX with EZ-Pilot Autosteer and RTX corrections (1.5" repeatable). I've had the tractor now for about 6 months and 200 trouble-free hard hours - could NOT be happier! In this current category of machine, do not let anyone tell you there is a better tractor! When it comes down to using this tractor in real-world commercial field conditions, it's many features shine above the competition. The Kubota exclusive hydraulic dual speed is simply a must-have; it allows you to easily gear down for making headland turns or whatever without deactivating the cruise, adjusting engine speed, etc. And the big deal maker with this tractor - a category 2 hitch. This alone speaks to the capabilities of this machine and is something the competition simply doesn't have. The cab is huge and quiet, the HVAC is unbeatable, it is well balanced, the controls are all ergonomic and well placed, easy to service, one piece hood, intuitive dash, very fuel efficient, the list goes on - it's an awesome tractor! And if your wondering about the DPF and emissions - well, it takes quite a few hours before the filter reaches 100 percent, and it does have a indicator to show you the current percentage. Honestly, the FT4 emissions is nothing to worry about - it makes for a quieter, cleaner more efficient engine.

I would post some pictures of this beauty, but....I can't, due to confidentiality. But if anyone has any specific questions about this model, don't hesitate to ask.

Cool, I'm glad you like the tractor and it is working good for you.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #24  
Man, this confidentiality thing has me laying awake at night wondering if you're farming for area 51 or something....

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #25  
Man, this confidentiality thing has me laying awake at night wondering if you're farming for area 51 or something....

We've been thinking about just maybe, only maybe, replacing the L3940 for some more HP and when I read that confidentiality thing I was kinda wondering the same thing :laughing:

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #26  
Thanks for the detailed response but I don't know about this statement....

"The intercooled JD is noticably more powerful."

If you look very closely at the power ratings that JD gives for the 4720 (66 engine hp) , you'll notice it's given as per the following standard:

The 97/68/EC standard is defined as follows:
膝ross engine performance at the flywheel (1)
柊ll engine auxiliaries attached (except air conditioning/air brake compressor, transmission/hydraulic oil cooler)
彦an removed
紐adiator removed
?5ーC (77ーF) ambient temperature when testing

This is basically the engine alone, bench tested, with no accessories. Read more here if you want: Confused over power settings standards? | Features | Farmers Guardian

Kubota lists Net Engine HP for the L6060 at 60hp, per SAE J1349 (as-installed Net Power Rating):

Net flywheel power certified to SAE Method J1349 or ISO Method 9249 is the rated power of the engine as-installed, with all accessories and standard intake and exhaust systems. Net flywheel power is the engine power measured at the flywheel, not counting drive train losses.

I think the Kubota is tested to a more realistic HP standard and that is why the power appears slightly down from the JD 4720 (and true to your point, the L6060 is also not intercooled - but I'm not convinced it really matters on such a small tractor). In all respect though, it's miniscule differences between the two - I would call them a flat even...but the 4720 is definitely not noticeably more powerful. I have driven both the 4720 and the 6060 and revved them to max rpm... and to me the 6060 is quieter, larger more comfortable cab, better hydro foot pedal design, swivel seat, better HVAC, and a longer wheelbase. It was a no brainer after the test drive.

As for e-PTO...it's not overly important to me at this point. I will primarily be using this tractor with an 81 inch commercial-duty tiller and an 8ft Kongskilde 3pt hitch cultivator - as such, maximum power will be needed most of the time. e-PTO is certainly the thing to have on a larger tractor that operates smaller implements. However, I think Kubota will release an e-PTO kit for the L6060 at some point in the future to remain competitive....but only if there is a demand for it.

As for Tier IV emissions, you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid it. I currently have two tractors with the DPF (one being the M9960)...it hasn't been an issue - at all. The engines are noticeably quieter, smoother, easier starting, better fuel efficiency, and very clean. With the high pressure common rail fuel system, cold weather starting is much improved. For example, I had to start my M9960 at -30c, after it had been sitting for over a month and half, and it was not plugged in - it surprisingly started without any trouble. That is unbelievably impressive! I only wish now I had taken a video. It was so cold outside that the rubber floor mat had turned white....

Now for tires on the L6060...this is what I'm thinking:

Rears - 14.9-28 R1 Ag Tires (54.3" diameter)
Fronts - 11.2-16 R1 Ag Tires (35.5" diameter) <----these would need to go on a 10 inch wide rim. Can you get that??
Ratio = 1.53

This is what I've ordered:
Rears - 13.6-28 R1 Ag Tires (51.8" diameter) <----Not sure how wide this rim is...
Fronts - 9.5-16 R1 Ag Tires (33.2" diameter) <----Not sure how wide this rim is...
Ratio = 1.56

The industrial/commercial tires that the L6060 can be optioned with are:
Rears - 17.5L-24 R4 (48.8" diameter)
Fronts - 10-16.5 R4 (30.8" diameter)
Ratio = 1.58

I did ratio calculations for all the OEM option tires for the 6060, it ranges from 1.53-1.61.

Thoughts anyone?

As for comparing ratios, keep in mind the true height of a tire is determined by the loaded rolling radius. Car and truck tires often have that data available. I'm a newbee to tractors, so, have no clue if that data is available.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #27  
Ok so...I placed an order for a tricked out L6060HSTC. However, I'm having second thoughts about the 13.6-28 and 9.5-16 Ag tires. I do need ag tires, nothing else is an option. However, I'm thinking maybe 14.9-28 rears would be better...a little wider. Does anyone know if that's even an option? I would imagine that the front/rear tires have to be within a certain ratio (i.e. tire diameters need to match up), not? I just don't want the 6060 to look like a clown tractor....

Also, I want to try and stick with the 28" rear rim size - I need all the 3pt hitch lift height I can get.

I recently researched the L6060 and the JD 4720 and it's replacement the 4066R. Can't help with the cab questions as I need ROPS tractors as I routinely drive beneath trees while mowing and the cab, mirrors, etc. would be damaged.

I closed a deal on an L6060 about two weeks ago. The L6060 is a bit heavier that the 4066R and comes with larger rear AG tires. Though I bought R4 tires, the 6060 is offered with 14.9X26 rear tires while the 4066R is offered only with 13.6X28 rear AG tires. 13.6 AG tires are not large enough for a 50+ PTO HP tractor. 28" rear AG rims/tires are NOT available on the 6060. Rear rim size is NOT an issue regarding lift height. Additionally, I did not like the plastic hood on the JD. In my case, the one piece, non adjustable rear rims on the JD with R4 tires were a show stopper. Sad, because I might have bought it otherwise as I really wanted the ePTO and the rear fender mounted lift and creep controls, neither of which are offered on the 6060. (Expect the replacement for the Grand L series tractors to have both.)

The planetary/spur gear final reduction question is a non issue. Both systems are proven and reliable. The spur gear system is heavier due to the cast iron housings. Additional weight is usually an advantage for a tractor.

Regarding HP: The L6060 has a few more cubic inches but is not intercooled as is the JD. PTO HP is a wash. I believe that the 6060 is rated 1 or 2 more HP at the PTO than is the 4066R and 1 or 2 PTO HP less than is the 4720. NO ONE will notice this in the field.

Finally, the hydrostatic transmission in the 6060 has more features than that used in the JD. Read the brochures.

FWIW, my ROPS L6060 will be delivered around the end of the year.

I bought it to replace a Massey Ferguson that I cannot wait to get out of my barn.

Sorry, but I had forgotten that I had posted to this thread in the past. Getting old faster than I realized. Yes, I did decide to buy the 6060.

SDT

Last edited:
   / Kubota L6060 Questions #28  
TEXASJOHN uses a slotted piece of PVC pipe on his Kubota through the back glass to help with hookups.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #29  

Maybe he's the guy that has been in the news harvesting and stealing crops in southern Ontario, LOL.

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #30  
Every manufacturer has a headland management system, The Vario CVT & IVT systems seem to really shine with it.

He could let someone else take pics and post them, gets done all the time.