Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #1  

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
Kubota M62, Kubota L3240D HST (SOLD!), Kubota RTV900
With the start of summer right around the corner and a huge amount of dust on the ground, it was time to tame the billowing exhaust plume from the Kubota M62. For some reason, Kubota saw fit to aim the exhaust to the front and down, where it lands a few feet in front of the tractor with enough force to send dust eight to ten feet into the air.

mufflerSideView.jpg

Lifting the hood and removing the plastic grill revealed that the muffler tip was a separate assembly held on by two bolts through the floor underneath the radiator. They came out easily, and the muffler tip was pulled forward and down to remove.
engineDustCut.jpg

The large outer ring at the end of the muffler tip is welded to a steel plate that bifurcates the smaller muffler tip body. I used a cutting blade in a small angle grinder to cut the plate and separate the tip from the body.

engineDustOpening.jpg

That left the upper end of the plate sticking out of the body. I found a 3" stainless steel elbow on Amazon, which would fit over the muffler tip body almost perfectly. My plan was to direct the exhaust to the side, but when I slipped the elbow over the tip body, the exhaust looked like it would hit the left front tire. If the tip was rotated up, though, it would angle the exhaust up and to the left, away from the dust on the road and also away from the tire.
engineDustWelded.jpg

With the tip body being carbon steel and the elbow being stainless, I also found some ER309 welding wire on Amazon and used that to make the tack welds that hold the two pieces together. A coat of paint on the tip body finished up the butchery.
engineDustInstalled.jpg

Once installed, you'd think it came that way from the factory. Perhaps it should have? All in, the mod took maybe an hour, and is one of the better customizations I've made to the tractor.

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #2  
Looks great!

Got a pic at a further distance?

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #3  
That’s a good solution. Didn’t like the forward exhaust. Good looking modification.

That’s a bit forward but similar to M59 which I can live with. Puff of smoke when starting goes out the window in the tractor shed. Otherwise a clean burning tractor.

I work with brush and trees. Do you think the front guard needs a plate to help protect the new elbow?

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector
I work with brush and trees. Do you think the front guard needs a plate to help protect the new elbow?
I do as well and have several extra holes in the plastic grill to prove it.

A plate across that protection bar makes sense, but knowing me, I'll probably only get around to it after a branch wipes out the muffler...

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #5  
Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing for my M59 but in reverse. Right now it blows the exhaust onto the loader boom leaving a carbon deposit. I would aim it onto the ground.

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #6  
With the start of summer right around the corner and a huge amount of dust on the ground, it was time to tame the billowing exhaust plume from the Kubota M62. For some reason, Kubota saw fit to aim the exhaust to the front and down, where it lands a few feet in front of the tractor with enough force to send dust eight to ten feet into the air.

View attachment 746006
Lifting the hood and removing the plastic grill revealed that the muffler tip was a separate assembly held on by two bolts through the floor underneath the radiator. They came out easily, and the muffler tip was pulled forward and down to remove.
View attachment 746007
The large outer ring at the end of the muffler tip is welded to a steel plate that bifurcates the smaller muffler tip body. I used a cutting blade in a small angle grinder to cut the plate and separate the tip from the body.

View attachment 746008
That left the upper end of the plate sticking out of the body. I found a 3" stainless steel elbow on Amazon, which would fit over the muffler tip body almost perfectly. My plan was to direct the exhaust to the side, but when I slipped the elbow over the tip body, the exhaust looked like it would hit the left front tire. If the tip was rotated up, though, it would angle the exhaust up and to the left, away from the dust on the road and also away from the tire.
View attachment 746009
With the tip body being carbon steel and the elbow being stainless, I also found some ER309 welding wire on Amazon and used that to make the tack welds that hold the two pieces together. A coat of paint on the tip body finished up the butchery.
View attachment 746011
Once installed, you'd think it came that way from the factory. Perhaps it should have? All in, the mod took maybe an hour, and is one of the better customizations I've made to the tractor.
That’s awesome, I’m so sick of clouds of dust and dirt when I use my M62, what kind of moron designed our tractors like that? You should sell those, I would totally buy one from you.

Jen

Unfortunately, Kubota gets about $215 for the muffler tip, so making a replacement part is somewhat cost prohibitive. I could probably modify yours, but you'd be running around without a muffler tip while the parts moved back and forth in the mail. But I still feel like I owe you big time for rescuing me from that backhoe lockout, so if you wanna send me your muffler tip, I'd be happy to weld an elbow on it for you and send it back...

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #8  
But I still feel like I owe you big time for rescuing me from that backhoe lockout, so if you wanna send me your muffler tip, I'd be happy to weld an elbow on it for you and send it back...
You're a sweetheart but you don't owe me a thing. I remember how much my heart sank when the same thing happened to me. I thought for sure I'd ruined my tractor, I had no idea that any company had figured out how to not only stop an engine from starting but when you try to start it, make it sound like you had a thrown rod. It freaked the hell out of me, so I know how you felt and was SUPER glad I was able to put you at ease about how to fix it.

I just picked up a new toy I'm using my M62 for so won't take you up on the offer this second but probably will for sure sometime this Summer, if you let me at least pay for the muffler tip and shipping, thank you again.

Jen

IMG_0870.jpeg

Lemme know when you're ready for the muffler tip, as there might be some down time in the shop later this summer, OK?

Wow! That screener sure makes some nice dirt. The way the operator in the video is using it seems to be throwing a lot of good dirt away, though. Looks like it's just running off the back into the spoils pile because they're feeding it too fast.

I needed clean fill to cushion conduits in the trenches I dug last summer, and for a few hundred bux for scrap, put a poor man's version together with a little help from a neighbor. Seems like half the dirt around here is rocks.
screeninRockFall.jpg

Does your tractor ever get dirty?😳😂

/ Kubota M62 Muffler Tip Deflector #10  
that big rock is headed right for the grill. hope the pile of smaller rocks slowed it down some. I was thinking of building one of those too, I hadn't thought of dumping dirt on it from the back side. My thought process was dump the dirt to be screened from the other side so large debris rolls away from the tractor