Kubota M7040 fuel system issues

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #1  

MLinOleMiss

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I recdntly purchased a 2014 M7040 with 2700 hours on it. I bought it from the local grren dealer after he took it in on trade and I ran it around the lot for a few minutes and it ran/worked fine. The last 2-3 times that I have used it, after 30-40 minutes it begins to sputter and dies. It usually starts back after a little while but, once, I did check the filter and it was about half empty so I topped it off and it started back up. I ran it for close to 45 minutes yesterday with zero issues but when I got on it today, it would not start. Filter was about half full again so i topped it off but no luck this time. The primer pump doesnt seem to be pulling any fuel into the filter when I pump it. Any ideass or suggestions before I call the Kubota dealership because I figure they will throw parts at it, starting with the injector pump and working backwards from there.

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #2  
I recdntly purchased a 2014 M7040 with 2700 hours on it. I bought it from the local grren dealer after he took it in on trade and I ran it around the lot for a few minutes and it ran/worked fine. The last 2-3 times that I have used it, after 30-40 minutes it begins to sputter and dies. It usually starts back after a little while but, once, I did check the filter and it was about half empty so I topped it off and it started back up. I ran it for close to 45 minutes yesterday with zero issues but when I got on it today, it would not start. Filter was about half full again so i topped it off but no luck this time. The primer pump doesnt seem to be pulling any fuel into the filter when I pump it. Any ideass or suggestions before I call the Kubota dealership because I figure they will throw parts at it, starting with the injector pump and working backwards from there.
Are you talking about the fuel/water separator or the spin-on filter? We had a 7040 that had developed algae in the system, plugging the screen to the point the pump suction collapsed the screen. We replaced the screen and the filter and added algicide and fuel treatment and it has run like a top. HYDR

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #3  
Are you talking about the fuel/water separator or the spin-on filter? We had a 7040 that had developed algae in the system, plugging the screen to the point the pump suction collapsed the screen. We replaced the screen and the filter and added algicide and fuel treatment and it has run like a top. HYDR
Sounding like time to clean the tank out to see what surprises you can find

Last edited:
   / Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #4  
replacing the injector pump at this point would be premature. agree with above suggestions

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #5  
My JD was doing something similar. The tank strainer was completely plugged. Diesel fuel grows some nasty stuff.

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #6  
Check to be sure fuel tank vent hose isn't clogged. Fuel vent hose on my '11 M7040 is located by LH rear cab post. Next I suggest to remove water separator housing & check all housing passageways for a clog. Many yrs ago I owned a M4900 with similar water separator housing that engine was starving for fuel. I was advised by local Kubota dealer service manager to check fuel shut off valve in WS housing for a clogged screen. I removed shut off valve & located a tiny screen that was clogged. I cleaned screen & my tractors fuel starvation problem was solved

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 070408.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 070408.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 103
   / Kubota M7040 fuel system issues
Spin-off but I did empty and refill the WS, as well.

/ Kubota M7040 fuel system issues #9  
If none of the above cures the issue, replace the lift pump on the side of the engine. They are not that much and easy to replace. Mine is 4 bolts and a gasket. Had that issue on my M9 open station a while back and it was a pinhole in the fuel line from the fuel tank to the bowl you refer to. I have since replaced not only the hose but added a Racor spin on fuel water filter post OEM bowl. Only takes a pin hole to cause the issue with the fuel level in the clear bowl and fuel starvation.