Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear
It currently has 385 hours on. In 50 hours I must have rode the clutch too much. The mechanic said that was most likely cause. I saw old parts and it was pretty wore down. My opinion is when I took it on paved road it sped up the clutch problem and just decided to not work right. Hopefully I never have to replace it again.

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #12  
I have seen people "rest" their foot on the clutch, especially while doing loader work (a lot of directional changes ie. clutching) While they may not realize it, the clutch tends to slip ever so slightly. Not a good idea IMHO.

For all you know the poor clutch could have been hanging by a thread when you bought the tractor.

Hopefully this one will last you a lot longer, that's a lot of money!

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #13  
What are the symptoms?

Is it possible the range shift is falling short of going fully into high?
Can it be the clutch is weak and just slipping in high where it has enough grip for low range?
(can you move in high gear low range from a dead stop?)

I had the same thing happen to me and the high low shift linkage was off at the left side of the transaxle, the last thing I heard was a small pop when the transaxle came out of gear and with the link off it did nothing when I shifted the lever. Had to remove the tire and fender to see the problem. After the pop all other hydraulics worked just the tractor would not move.:)

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #14  
Are these same people that drive for miles with their left foot slightly applying the brake in the left lane with their left blinker on driving 60 mph in a slow drag with a semi truck and then stop suddenly because their exit is just ahead, meanwhile seting off a chain reaction scaring the crap out of you and every other torqued of person behind them because you've become immune to seeing the red brake lights on
I have seen people "rest" their foot on the clutch, especially while doing loader work (a lot of directional changes ie. clutching) While they may not realize it, the clutch tends to slip ever so slightly. Not a good idea IMHO.

For all you know the poor clutch could have been hanging by a thread when you bought the tractor.

Hopefully this one will last you a lot longer, that's a lot of money!

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #16  
$2140.50 later and tractor is fixed. Clutch needed replacing.

Not making sense to me that it didn't move in high gear at all, but did move in low gear. Same clutch, right? Sounds like the clutch was worn for sure but linkage still must have been an issue and the adjusted it when they put it back together. Also "ride the clutch too much" ....... Shouldn't ride the clutch at all. Good luck with it now, those are nice tractors.

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #17  
Not making sense to me that it didn't move in high gear at all, but did move in low gear. .

Moving in a lower gear but refusing to move in high gear is a typical symptom of a slipping clutch.

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #18  
Moving in a lower gear but refusing to move in high gear is a typical symptom of a slipping clutch.

Yep that's for sure. Because it Requires more engine torque to maintain the same road speed in a higher gear.

/ Kubota M9000 Not moving in High Gear #19  

The actual quote was "It doesn't move in high gear at all". Not moving "at all" does not fit with a slipping clutch if it moves normally in low. I could see if it budged and could not get up to speed but that is not what he said. If it works normally in the highest gear of low but not "at all" in the lowest gear of high, I can't believe that is exclusively a slipping clutch.

He also said moving it into high was difficult, then it wasn't, as if something changed: "I remember it took a little bit of an effort to put it into high range and now it goes into it too easily.". The clutch would not effect the force to shift normally into high

Last edited: