Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #21  
I think I'm leaning towards a 5103, myself. Do any 5103 owners miss 4WD? Has anyone traded in a 5103 b/c it doesn't have 4WD?

I guess it's a matter of finances. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a M5040 or a JD 4720.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #22  
My boss bought himself a 5303 and has absolutely no complaints. He is hard on just about everything he has also, so it is a good unit. Come to think of it, I haven't seen many used 5x03 tractors out there...they are thay good of a unit. If you need 4wd, get it as I'm sure you'll love it. The chores should dictate what you need. I think people that initially buy a 5103 have weighed the situation that they are faced with and go with 2wd...they seem very happy.

BC

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #23  
I am new to tracors, and this site. Can some one explain to me. What is a properly "ballasted tractor"? I am not meaning to be simplistic. I would just like to know.
Thanks for any help
Ray

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #24  
tensaw12 said:
I am new to tracors, and this site. Can some one explain to me. What is a properly "ballasted tractor"? I am not meaning to be simplistic. I would just like to know.
Thanks for any help
Ray

Most 2WD tractors will be properly ballasted at 70% of their weight on the rear end and 30% on the front end. For traction you typically want up to 125# of weight per HP. A 50 HP tractor with 6250# will be properly ballasted for pulling with a 70/30 weight bias in 2WD. 4WD is around 65/35 rear to front weight bias.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #25  
Stackwood said:
I did it: I bought a Kubota MX5000 with 4wd, LA852 loader and one hydraulic remote. I'm very happy. It should be ready by the end of next week. After a good shakedown I'll be sure to write a review on the Kubota board.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Congrats on your new tractor purchase.

Are the tires filled? If not, you might consider getting the adapter to fill the tires with fluid (about $15 at NAPA).

Don't know if you have experience with FELs. My advice is to be very careful how you use your bucket. Even though the 5000 is a pretty big machine, it has a pretty big bucket.

I have a little 21-hp B7510HST/4WD/LA302 FEL. It's a little tippy at times especially when a front tire drops into a wheel rut while using the FEL.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103
Looks like the moderator is scrubbing my comments now that I've bought a specific brand. Tune in to the Kubota list for reviews and further adventures.

Thanks once again for all the help, info, and support. This is a great community.

Stackwood