Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D?

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #1  

Ken45101

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator
I'm looking for a new 2WD tractor primarily for bushhogging pastures. Something to run a 7' mower.

I've had good experience with Kubota over the years and have been looking at the MX5100. Today I checked at the Deere dealership and they have the 5055D which seems very similar except the JD weighs 800# more.

I'm sure either would do the job. Any pro or con comments on either one?

thanks,
Ken

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #2  
I'm looking for a new 2WD tractor primarily for bushhogging pastures. Something to run a 7' mower.

I've had good experience with Kubota over the years and have been looking at the MX5100. Today I checked at the Deere dealership and they have the 5055D which seems very similar except the JD weighs 800# more.

I'm sure either would do the job. Any pro or con comments on either one?

thanks,
Ken

let's see if i can be of any help. i own a 5203 which is essentially a 5055D. first things first, have you bought a 7' mower already or will you be buying this with the tractor? will it be a rotary mower or finish mower? i'm guessing rotary, but you never know. how often will you be cutting these pastures? you SHOULD be able to run a 7' behind either pretty well if it's not heavily overgrown and you plan on staying on top of it(cutting it more then once or twice a year). i would lean towards the 5055 for a few reasons. the 5055 has a larger engine(179 ci) compared to the mx5100(i think its 148 ci but dont hold me to that). i prefery planetary gears over what Kubota uses in this series of tractor(spur). just never liked the wine of the spur gear. not sure what tranny the mx5100 comes with but the 5055D comes with 8x4 syncreverser. either tractor should do the job, but i would give the nod to the 5055D. you'll need to add some front weights no doubt as the front end will get a bit light with that much mower on the back.

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D?
As I said, I would be bush hogging pastures, no finish mower. I currently have a 6' brush mower but I am considering a new one.

I've had no problems powerwise with my ex Kubota M4700 (39 PTO hp) or the current Kubota M5040 so if the horsepower ratings are fair comparisons, neither of the choices should be an issue powerwise.

I am a bit concerned that the Kubota MX drive train isn't as strong as the M series, but it's not like I'm plowing or doing anything that will really strain the rear end. OTOH, the weight of the JD and the looks of the rear end does look bigger. It would be nice to buy from an American company even if it's build in a factory in India.

Ken

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #4  
I can't give you first hand info on the JD but I do own a MX5000. You will not have any problems running a 7' cutter with it. I am curious why you would be considering either when you already have a M5040?

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D?
I am curious why you would be considering either when you already have a M5040?

Basically I'm tired of spending an hour or two changing implements for a half hour's work, or not doing something because the wrong attachment is on the tractor.

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #6  
Basically I'm tired of spending an hour or two changing implements for a half hour's work, or not doing something because the wrong attachment is on the tractor.

What implements do you have that take an hour or two to change?

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #7  

I see that the M5040 has telescopic lower 3ph arms. Thats what the MX5100 also has. I really like that feature.

If your really set on a new tractor then have fun. It just does not sound like you would be gaining anything.

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #8  
I personally would go with the 5055D and if I wanted to stay with a Kubota would look at the larger M frame series. I too realize that some of the Deere parts are foreign made and maybe even assembled, but as debated here before, it is still a US product.

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #9  
Not trying to start anything here but why do some people feel better buying a product from an "American" company when the company creates jobs somewhere else? Or better yet what makes John Deere an "american" company? I am sure people from all over the world own John Deere stock just like many people here in the states own Kubota stock.

/ Kubota MX5100 vs. JD 5055D? #10  
Not trying to start anything here but why do some people feel better buying a product from an "American" company when the company creates jobs somewhere else? Or better yet what makes John Deere an "american" company? I am sure people from all over the world own John Deere stock just like many people here in the states own Kubota stock.

simple, John Deere was started in America by an American. its headqaurters are in America. Kubota has created jobs here, but they are a Jappanese company with their headqaurters located in Japan. Baseball is an american sport but played all over the world by other countries. we still call it "ours" though.