Kubota oil psi problems

/ Kubota oil psi problems
I replaced the oil pump relief valve.

Went over everything today and checked output from oil pump and it was good. Ran a hose from the adapter i made to the oil input on the motor and had 60 psi......hooked things back up.......let it idle for 15 min and the oil psi dropped to 35psi at 1500 was at 60psi.......all that work and it was the oil filter!!
Fixed now wife says back to work ......been relaxing to long. LOL:D

/ Kubota oil psi problems #13  
Huh? How did the oil filter get into the troubleshooting process? I'm glad you got it fixed, but can you clue us in on the oil filter?

SimS

I used a old fuel oil pump and ran it into where the oil filter goes on and with the oil pan off I primed it up with some oil and looked up into the motor to see where the major oil leak was. I didn't see anything that was a big stream so I decided to check the oil pump so here is what i did. Pix 1 and 2 are the by pass that i made up to check the oil pump and see if it was building psi. So I set this up pulled the compression release and turned the motor over, my guage showed 60psi with the valve closed. I opened the valve and let the oil go to the motor and pulled the compression release and turned the motor over and still showed 60 psi. So i moved the oil psi guage to where the oil psi sender hooks up and turned the motor over again and still had my 60 psi. The only thing that was different was the oil filter so i changed it, now i have my oil psi back. I cut the filter apart and didn't see anything wrong with it, The only thing i can think of is it must of had mold or something in it to stop it from passing any oil. I couldn't check the by pass in the filter i wasn't very gentle when i took it apart.

Attachments

• Rig 1.jpg
    Rig 1.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Rig 2.jpg
    Rig 2.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 303
   / Kubota oil psi problems #15  
Steve;

Now I get it. Great technique. Very good thinking on your part. All's well that ends well. I've heard of oil filters being defective right off the shelf but I have never seen it myself. I guess anything can happen with any mass produced product. I'm glad you're back in action.

SimS

/ Kubota oil psi problems #16  
steve01

Before changing any filters, did you have oil pressure? After installing a new oil filter you had little or no oil pressure? Only after installing the second new oil filter, you then had pressure? Did you crank the engine long enough for the first new oil filter to fill and pressurized the system? So what you are saying is that the first new oil filter was bad, is that correct?

Yes the first filter was bad. I let the tractor run for about a minute and the light never went out shut the tractor off removed the the side cover removed the oil sending unit and installed a gauge.....restarted and ran for about another min. and no pressure...removed the tubing from the side of the block that went to the oil gauge and started the tractor and nothing came out of the hole. I did have pressure before changing the oil but my light was flashing at idle, I think the tractor was running a little warm but not over heated. No whistle any way