Kubota Paint and Primer

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #31  
Interestingly, I have a can of the Majic hardener on the shelf, unopened and I looked at the label this morning and nowhere does it state it's an isocynate (sic). All it states is how much to add to a certain volume of paint. Never used the stuff and candidly, don't plan to.

According to the Material Safety Data Sheet, (MSDS), It's 58% isocyanate by weight.

When they pack the cans, they fill the airspace with nitrogen. So, an unopened can will keep much longer than it does once you open it.

Hardners are notorious for hardening in the can, after they have been opened.

If you ever want to use it again after opening, thoroughly clean the threads on the can, and the cap with solvent. Even a little hardener on there will very effectively glue the lid on can.

I also wrap all supplies to be put in storage with a layer of aluminum foil tape at the can openings. I have found this greatly extends their "after opening" shelf life.

Hardners are notorious for hardening in the can, after they have been opened.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #32  
I don't use hardener but the way I keep partially filled cans of paint from drying out is simply to store them upside down. Then air can't get in to dry them out.

When I open a can I punch some holes around the rim to let paint drain back after being poured out. When done, I wipe the rim, put the lid on and store upside down. I used a half can of Kubota Orange II recently that I had opened last summer and it poured like fresh paint. I paint a lot and have been doing this for years. Works great.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #33  
I don't use hardener but the way I keep partially filled cans of paint from drying out is simply to store them upside down. Then air can't get in to dry them out.

When I open a can I punch some holes around the rim to let paint drain back after being poured out. When done, I wipe the rim, put the lid on and store upside down. I used a half can of Kubota Orange II recently that I had opened last summer and it poured like fresh paint. I paint a lot and have been doing this for years. Works great.

Good tip. I 'hate' it when you open a partial can and it's skinned over and you have to fish the skin out. Thanks, I'll do just that.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #34  

When you do this, don't you get drying on the bottom (temporary top?). You have the same amount of air either way.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #36  
When you do this, don't you get drying on the bottom (temporary top?). You have the same amount of air either way.

Nope, no skin. I figure it's not just the air already in the can but the extra air that seeps in and out when stored upright. Looks just like a partial can of paint when I turn over and open it up. I do shake it hard first but if there was any skin I would see it and do not. I've done maybe 25 cans like this over the years and never a problem.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #37  
Nope, no skin. I figure it's not just the air already in the can but the extra air that seeps in and out when stored upright. Looks just like a partial can of paint when I turn over and open it up. I do shake it hard first but if there was any skin I would see it and do not. I've done maybe 25 cans like this over the years and never a problem.

I have been doing the same for more than 40 years
It works!

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #38  
I have been doing the same for more than 40 years
It works!

Just went out and inverted all my partial cans. It might not help at this point, but it won't hurt either. From now on, upside down like upside down cake...:D

70 years old and learned something new today. Life is good. Thanks.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #39  
Here's the icing on the cake because upside down storage also works with many of your wife's spices. Turn them upside down in the cupboard and they stay fresher, longer. The fluffy ones not so much but the denser and finer granulated or ground ones yes indeed. Wife won't let me try it yet but I'll bet it works with honey and real maple syrup as well.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #40  
Just went out and inverted all my partial cans. It might not help at this point, but it won't hurt either. From now on, upside down like upside down cake...:D

70 years old and learned something new today. Life is good. Thanks.

Be careful!
Over the years, I have several times had a can top that was not on as firmly as I thought.
A week, a month, or more, later.....BIG ugly surprise.