Insurance Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada

/ Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada
I got a plate and ownership now for my RTV900. Had to contact my Kubota dealer and they sent some thing to Kubota and they gave them a VIN number. So I took it to the MTO office for a plate and ownership but they said they needed the sale slip with the vin number on it. (prove I paid the tax on the rtv). So back to dealership and they just wrote the VIN number on my original sale slip. So now my RTV is registered with our Government but no insurance company has a listing for it other than its a TRACTOR.

/ Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada #14  
Just a serial number (at least in the US).

Steve

Likely why you can get register it as a farm tractor (here) then. Motor vehicle place only would see you bought a Kubota and lack of VIN means the motor vehicle place can't "bring it up" in the system like they can with a car or truck.

/ Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada #15  
At least he didn't have FT plates or I'd REALLY be upset. I can see someone going in and wanting plate for "their Kubota" and getting them, do RTVs have a VIN or they like tractors and just have serial number?

Farm plates would have been "worse". AFAIK RTV's just have serials. BUT so do ATV's and gas powered SXS (dont they??). If they allow the diesel RTV, shouldnt they also allow gas powered ATV and SxS??? Im thinking whats getting them through is the "Kubota" brand as opposed to something like a Polaris. Perhaps they arent aware that Kubota makes SxS in the first place? Id love to see what his permit says for a type description.

I cant find anything really on the Service NS website (surprise), other than the description that GT plates go on "Miscellaneous equipment (GT) [backhoes, bulldozers, etc.] " So you can take a bulldozer down the highway? :laughing:

By rights it should be under Off Highway : Off-highway Vehicles [4-wheelers, ATVs, dune buggies, mini-bikes, etc.]

This raises an even bigger question of insurance. Is it insured as a kubota tractor that sees on highway usage???? I wouldnt want to be trying to explain to my insurance company if I ever got in an accident

edit: just saw your post on Vin vs Serial. I think thats how its slipping through. All it will take is one vocal SxSer to get this loophole slammed shut though..

/ Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada #16  
surely it varies per state & county re: insurance coverage. maybe the question comes to: will your insurance cover your liability if you are operating the vehicle on an "approved" or "unapproved" road way. Personally, i don't drive an ATV on the county dirt roads. i do drive several times a week to my rural property in my pick up. i have encountered ATV vehicles side by side w/kids on blind cures, etc that i know is illegal operation on my county roads...... while you worry about your liability insurance, i understand your question, but why should i be concerned with illegally operated RTV's that puts everyone at risk while the operators are only worrying about covering their base?...(and they are not tending to agricultural needs, just recreation)....
sorry, that's the way i feel......

For sure there is always a bad apple in a bushel of good ones. But I do in joy a bit of recreational activities after a busy day of hard work. Fortunately we are permitted to use recreational vehicles on all roadways with very strict rule to protect everyone's rights. But not being able to get liability insurance to protect myself from one of those bad apples and running the risk of losing Everything...just nice to have that peace of paper in my wallet for my protection.

Just contact Kubota and said there working on something to compete with the JD Gator. Seems they can get liability for there Diesel UTV. She said Maybe 6 months.

Got it!!! Had to change insurance companies for coverage on my house but now my 2012 RTV90xt is now legal to drive on Ontario roads. Co-Operator insurance gave me Liability

/ Kubota RTV road insurance in Canada #20  
Years ago, I used to drive a VW dune buggy on the backroads with a SMV sign on it. One day I was out driving and drove down a steep hill. At the bottom of the hill on a bridge sat an OPP cruiser. I had no place to go, so I pulled up along side of him. He asked if I had a license for "that thing" and I quickly remarked, that it was a "farm vehicle". He asked if it had a SMV and I said yes, at which time he pulled ahead to look for himself, then drove off, none too pleased, I guessed.

I drove all manner of farm utility vehicles on the roads for years without problems. Now all these crazy new UTVs are more dune buggies then UTVs and will surely change how the authorities view all of them. Especially after a few hit something at 50 mph!

As far as insurance goes. What's that?