Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4 #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
My Grandson wanted a dirt bike which I won't help with so we (He and I) moved to a 4 wheeler which are on record as being so dangerous and injury reports so bad around here so I chose not to got that route.
My RTV1140 is so big and my Grandson has been driving it since I bought it 8 years ago when he was 6 that I decided to buy a smaller RTV. I wanted rollbar, seat belts, not real fast and an additional seat is a bonus. My Grand is a bit reckless and wants to drive fast which I'm quite familiar with myself. :D The RTV500 seems to fill the bill. I moved a golf cart top from my BX2370-1 yesterday to the RTV500 and fits great. Ordered two Lexan pieces 1/4"x12"x44" yesterday to make a windshield that will have a removable/movable lower half for the summer and have some mirrors ordered. Also dealer included a front bumper which I'll have my Grand help me install in a day or so.I also have a Grand daughter that's a twin to my Grandson that's mentioned and she also likes to drive and a 6 year old grandson also to pick up when the older ones let him drive and after they go away.
I have a 25 acre mountain behind my house I bought last year as well as my other 8 acres and dead end street for them to drive on. The mountain had a tower so great packed gravel road to the top and then old logging roads around in various parts of the mountain and connected to gravel road.
I'll be watching for info from other RTV 400/500 owners and seeking advise from time to time. I'll post pics after I install windshield and bumper.

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4 #2  
My FIL just bought a used RTV500 camo version. I believe it's missing the exhaust tip possibly. I guess I need to stop and see what one looks like and maybe make one.

The manual says to warm up the motor for 5 minutes before proceeding to avoid engine damage. That right there would have kept me from buying one myself.

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4
My FIL just bought a used RTV500 camo version. I believe it's missing the exhaust tip possibly. I guess I need to stop and see what one looks like and maybe make one.

The manual says to warm up the motor for 5 minutes before proceeding to avoid engine damage. That right there would have kept me from buying one myself.

The manual says to warm up the motor for 5 minutes before proceeding to avoid engine damage. I don't believe it, won't do it. It's a gasoline engine which I've never heard of doing. The diesel engines on my other Kubotas say that and I sort of do a couple of minutes waiting with them. Auto gas engines used to say that in cold weather but for the past decade or so the recommendation on auto gas engines is to start and go. I'll look in my manual which I scanned and see if I can find anything like that and still won't do it. Grandson drove it yesterday and said it's a 10 out of 10. OLOR]

Read the owners manual. It states to not operate "under load" for 5 minutes until warmed up. Out side temp and degree of load would determine warm up time. The manual further states to keep RPMs under 50% during warm up period. I accept the "Under load" to mean full out running and/or carrying heavy loads (The bed payload is 442 lbs) which seems to go along with the keeping RPMs below the 50% level until it warms up. To me driving it below or at half speed is meeting the letter of the law/Owners Manual. I suspect but don't know for a fact that all similar vehicles will have the same warning in their owners manuals if they have an actual hydraulic transmission like the Kubota 500 and not sure there are any with direct drive transmissions like the Kubota 500 water cooled two cylinder engine. The Kubota 400 has a Suzuki 1 cylinder (I think Suzuki is what the dealer said) air cooled engine with belt drive.
Know diesel engines say to let run for some minutes till warm up and I do with the 4 Kubota Diesels I currently have, mostly but doubt very many people do as long as manual says to. :2cents:

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4 #5  
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way you could post a picture of the stock exhaust tip or cannister? I believe my FIL's is missing the spark arrestor or something.

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4 #6  
It's to limit the chance of having a "cold seizure". If you run it hard when cold, the piston expands faster than the cylinder can, especially where the cyl studs are.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way you could post a picture of the stock exhaust tip or cannister? I believe my FIL's is missing the spark arrestor or something.

Have made several tries but trying again to post these pics......OK.....trying again DSCF5042.JPGDSCF5041.JPGDSCF5040.JPGDSCF5039.JPGDSCF5038.JPGDSCF5037.JPG

/ Kubota RTV500 joins the other 4 #10  
Thanks for posting. Looks like I need a new exhaust tip.