Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude #21  
I have a RTV900 with ATV tires, use it at 1800' to do heavy work on steep terrain, and it's performance is superb. It goes up steep trails loaded like a military tank! Occasionally, I have to use the differential lock for slippery places. I also have a Polaris Ranger RZR 800 which is best described as a "go fast thrill machine." Totally different beast. With the RZR, I fly up the same trails, but it's virtually worthless for work! For that, the RTV900 rules!

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude #22  
Get yourself the kubota with the turbo kit and tracks. The tracks gear it down slightly for better power AND you get better ground clearance. The turbo diesel trucks sure do better in the mountains than the non turbo ones did.

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude
I have a RTV900 with ATV tires, use it at 1800' to do heavy work on steep terrain, and it's performance is superb. It goes up steep trails loaded like a military tank! Occasionally, I have to use the differential lock for slippery places. I also have a Polaris Ranger RZR 800 which is best described as a "go fast thrill machine." Totally different beast. With the RZR, I fly up the same trails, but it's virtually worthless for work! For that, the RTV900 rules!

Hi, MtHam.

Thanks for the input.

Get yourself the kubota with the turbo kit and tracks. The tracks gear it down slightly for better power AND you get better ground clearance. The turbo diesel trucks sure do better in the mountains than the non turbo ones did.

Hi, ruffdog.

Thanks for the input.

I forgot to state that It's not a problem if the RTV, or any other UTV, climbs the critical hill very slowly (I don't care if it's 1 mph). It's only around 200 feet, so I'd be patient for 1 or 2 minutes. But I want to be sure that it will climb it in rainy weather when the soil will be that sticky clay. It's no problem in dry weather because the soil will be compacted.

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude #26  
Hi, Gary.

I read RTV900 has carburator and Kubota doesn't state it (kubota.com). Maybe it referred to older models, before RTV9800XT?

I forgot to say I don't need it for mudding but for work.

Thanks for the input.
I think you confused it with the RTV500 which I believe is gas engine and I don't know if fuel injected or not. 900,1100 and 1140 models are all diesel. If you look for options, get the plastic canopy-it doesn't dent and is quite strong, get the glass windshield (it doesn't scratch up like plexi does and even at $800 extra it is worth it) , also get the hydraulic dump bed (I thought this was std but apparently not) and get the ATV tires unless all you are doing is running on hard surface roads. They have a good grip where as the WS (work site) tires are more highway tire.
Also consider getting the electric winch. I have never used mine for getting unstuck as I never got stuck, but it is good for stretching fence, dragging trees and other objects out to where you can load them, lifting the tongue of a trailer or other object so you can hook up, really handy tool to have.

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude #27  
I forgot to state that It's not a problem if the RTV, or any other UTV, climbs the critical hill very slowly (I don't care if it's 1 mph). It's only around 200 feet, so I'd be patient for 1 or 2 minutes. But I want to be sure that it will climb it in rainy weather when the soil will be that sticky clay. It's no problem in dry weather because the soil will be compacted.
Mine will climb a 45 degree slope easily in M gear you just have to back off the throttle a bit so it gears down the HST transmission.
When in 4 WD this machine has awesome pulling power and traction with the ATV type tires.

/ Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude #28  
I think you confused it with the RTV500 which I believe is gas engine and I don't know if fuel injected or not. 900,1100 and 1140 models are all diesel
The site he linked to (atv.com) was confused. They had the RTV900 listed as having a carburetor and a diesel engine for some strange reason.

Aaron Z

I think you confused it with the RTV500 which I believe is gas engine and I don't know if fuel injected or not. 900,1100 and 1140 models are all diesel. If you look for options, get the plastic canopy-it doesn't dent and is quite strong, get the glass windshield (it doesn't scratch up like plexi does and even at $800 extra it is worth it) , also get the hydraulic dump bed (I thought this was std but apparently not) and get the ATV tires unless all you are doing is running on hard surface roads. They have a good grip where as the WS (work site) tires are more highway tire.
Also consider getting the electric winch. I have never used mine for getting unstuck as I never got stuck, but it is good for stretching fence, dragging trees and other objects out to where you can load them, lifting the tongue of a trailer or other object so you can hook up, really handy tool to have.

Hi, Gary.

I stated it's because a mistake on atv.com (post #11), but also my ignorance of mechanics contributed to that.

Yes, I want to buy it with plastic canopy and windshield, but I prefer a polycarbonate one, lighter and cheaper, very strong and more resistant to scratches than plexi. The dealer offered to me that version with hydraulic dump bed and "agriculture" tires, he said by phone. Also I'll buy a winch; it's why I posted a thread about winches.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Mine will climb a 45 degree slope easily in M gear you just have to back off the throttle a bit so it gears down the HST transmission.
When in 4 WD this machine has awesome pulling power and traction with the ATV type tires.

Hi again, Gary.

45°! So, RTVs are dozers. I won't have any problem, unless high altitude and sticky clay bother me.

That you say about throttle seems to be the key to success in climbing my critical hill. I read on another forum that one must slowdown, so the machine will engage a secondary source of power (it seems you hear it beginning to work), I don't remeber how. So it will climb slowly but surely.