Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #1  

TJ Jones

Tractor
2004 B7800 Kubota with La402 loader
Just bought Kubota b7800 that was sitting outside for couple of years. Anyone have suggestions on how to prep for first startup? Many Thanks!

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #2  
Check the fluids and put in a hot battery. Check the air filter for a mouse nest too. Diesel keeps a lot better than gas. It will probably fire up. If you want to be cautious you could make sure the engine spins a full revolution by hand but I probably wouldn’t bother.

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #3  
Second. Fluids, battery. Maybe top the tank off with fuel. I've done this a dozen times with various machines and they've been fine.

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #4  
After checking/changing the fluids and getting a hot battery..
Make sure all the levers are in neutral ..
Put the throttle between 1/2 & full..and spin the engine ..
If it doesn’t fire up after a couple of tries, loosen the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS and try again.. U should see fuel squirting out of the lines.. NO AIR.
Once u get fuel there, tighten the lines back up..
If u don’t get fuel AT THE INJECTORS, it’s not gonna start and you’ll have to back-track to find out why..

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #5  
Lot good wisdom has been given,looking forward to update.

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #6  
Just bought Kubota b7800 that was sitting outside for couple of years. Anyone have suggestions on how to prep for first startup? Many Thanks!
Is this your first diesel? Do you know about glow plugs and what to do with them?

Did you get information from the previous owner about if it was running fine when parked? or was there an issue as to why it was parked?

It should be no problems now, if there weren't any when it was parked....

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #7  
How many years is a "couple"? I would assume less than 10.

I would drain as much of the fuel as you can and replace with new. Change oil/oil filter. Hydraulic fluid should be good but pull the dipstick to check.
Go over engine bay thoroughly for critters. check tire pressure.

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #8  
After checking/changing the fluids and getting a hot battery..
Make sure all the levers are in neutral ..
Put the throttle between 1/2 & full..and spin the engine ..
If it doesn’t fire up after a couple of tries, loosen the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS and try again.. U should see fuel squirting out of the lines.. NO AIR.
Once u get fuel there, tighten the lines back up..
If u don’t get fuel AT THE INJECTORS, it’s not gonna start and you’ll have to back-track to find out why..
Just last year picked up a 7800 sat outside for six years, I put a new battery in and did as above and checked and added all fluids and it fired up right away and died. needed to drain water out of the fuel line and when diesel was running I put it back and started it and drove it home from the neighbors, been working great since. I did let the glow plugs go for about 10 seconds. enjoy

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #9  
I would also drain, or at least check the fuel for water and / or microbial contamination. Particularly on a machine that was sitting outside.

/ Kubota starting after sitting for 1+ year #10  
good above advice. esp draining fuel. good luck with everything, esp since you bought the machine on good faith that had sat that long. regards,

Last edited: