Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud?

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #11  
I live in southwestern PA and took delivery of a new BX25 on Tuesday. I also picked up filters and fluids for the 50 hr and the parts guy told me they put UDT in mostly all of the tractors they sell. The exception he said is some of the ZTR Kubotas that require the SUDT. So UDT it is, he said why waste the money on the SUDT. He did say to use Kubota fluids and filters until the warranty is up in the event their is a mechanical issue.

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #12  
Bp it seemed to make a difference in your case and that would be enough to make me a believer also. As I understand though, most all oil comes out of the same pipe and the additives that manufactures add is what makes their produce unique. Why is UDT or SUDT so unique?

MarkV

Mark, I don't think udt is hyper unique, although it is a product produced to Kubota's specs by Ashland/Valvoline??. It is proprietary. It's good.

Sudt, is also Ashland/Valvoline and made to Kubota's specs, but is very quick flow. Again, being a proprietary product, I cannot say why, or give any more break down on what's in it. Yes, it is all about the packages added. What additives? Dunno. It's a trade secret, I am sure. I can sure as heck tell you that Warren Oil, a good company, did not match it with TSC's premium. Again, this is about SUDT in Kubotas, not hydro situations everywhere with all makes.

Kubota uses someone's else in Canada (PetroCanada?) to do their blending and packaging. I assume other countries, same thing. Kubota doesn't own an oil refinery that I am aware of.

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #13  
It has been nearly 10 years since I have worked in a Kubota dealer but did spend 12 of my 20+ years as an equipment mechanic working for Kubota dealers. When I left 10 years ago the consensus was to just use UDT, even the Kubota reps. would tell you this off the record. The only time they recommended SUDT was in very cold climates. I have used a lot of different universal tractor hydraulic fluids over the years and have not seen any oil related problems. There are not a lot of BX's in the area either, and personally I have only ever serviced one and that was several years ago. I did some unscientific field testing of SUDT vs. UDT on some B2710's that were in a highly abusive enviroment and having abnormally high HST failures. I could see no difference in failure rate between the 2 oils, but it is very likely that these failures would have been consistent regardless of how superior one oil would have been over the other. The only thing that seemed to slow down the failures was to reduce the abuse. The company bought 50+ HP machines to do most of the work that had done with the smaller machines.

I have never seen Kubota ask for an oil sample for warranty. But I would still use the recommened oil during the warranty period, just in case.

Brian

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #14  
It has been nearly 10 years since I have worked in a Kubota dealer but did spend 12 of my 20+ years as an equipment mechanic working for Kubota dealers. When I left 10 years ago the consensus was to just use UDT, even the Kubota reps. would tell you this off the record. The only time they recommended SUDT was in very cold climates. I have used a lot of different universal tractor hydraulic fluids over the years and have not seen any oil related problems. There are not a lot of BX's in the area either, and personally I have only ever serviced one and that was several years ago. I did some unscientific field testing of SUDT vs. UDT on some B2710's that were in a highly abusive enviroment and having abnormally high HST failures. I could see no difference in failure rate between the 2 oils, but it is very likely that these failures would have been consistent regardless of how superior one oil would have been over the other. The only thing that seemed to slow down the failures was to reduce the abuse. The company bought 50+ HP machines to do most of the work that had done with the smaller machines.

I have never seen Kubota ask for an oil sample for warranty. But I would still use the recommened oil during the warranty period, just in case.

Brian

Hey Brian, thanks for the perspective. I think things have changed, some, in 10 years, as things do. The SUDT is not just for cold climates. Why oh why did Kubota ever put those silly snow flakes on the packaging? The thought that it's just for those guys up north doesn't tell the whole story.

SUDT flows quicker in the cold and has a higher boiling point in hot weather. It is not synthetic, but has properties and additives that simply cost more, thus the higher price. If one lives along the most southern tier of states, the standard UDT is fine. It is just important to know that SUDT costs more for a reason. Do some skip over it because it is too expensive? Probably. But most experienced BX owners don't. These hot little HSTs whine enough.

Kubota has also doubled and nearly tripled their recommended drain intervals in the past year. That too is new. This means it isn't as expensive to keep SUDT in your HST.

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #15  
Thanks BP. I will keep the info about the BX's in the memory banks just in case. I would probably lean towards the SUDT in the Grand L HST's also. I have been under the impression that SUDT was a synthetic blend. What are they recommending for hydraulic oil change intervals in the newer machines?

Brian

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #16  
Thanks BP. I will keep the info about the BX's in the memory banks just in case. I would probably lean towards the SUDT in the Grand L HST's also. I have been under the impression that SUDT was a synthetic blend. What are they recommending for hydraulic oil change intervals in the newer machines?

Brian

Brian, Kubota used to have a filter/fluid change at 50 hours and then you were good til 300 hours, I believe. You had that expensive dump at 50 hours. Word is that everything comes from the factory now with SUDT. In any case, all that is required is a HST filter change at 50 hours. Don't drop the fluid until 300 hours.

The schedule isn't exactly the same for all units, but it appears Kubota is definitely going to longer change intervals. Gotta be some green, as in EPA,(not as in Deere) influence I suspect. Best regards,

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #17  
I found that after doing the 50 hour on the Grand L3130GST that the shifting speeded up, not sure what the dealer put in to start.

David Kb7uns

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #18  

Brian

Brian,

so what you're saying is the SUDT oil is semi synthetic and basically thinner for cold climates?? Less cavitation?? Lower Pour Point??

/ Kubota Trans/Hydrolic fluid or Universal trans/hydrolic fliud? #19  
Brian,

so what you're saying is the SUDT oil is semi synthetic and basically thinner for cold climates?? Less cavitation?? Lower Pour Point??

SUDT is NOT synthetic nor is it semi synthetic... It is multi viscosity, regular mineral oil.
It is only priced like a synthetic.

It does not get terribly cold here in Kansas, most of the dealers did not stock SUDT, but will order it in if you insist.
KennyV