Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil?

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #1  

TigerFanatic1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540
I need to change the front differential case and front axle gear oils, the manual says Kubota UDT, Super UDT, or SAE 80-90 gear oil may be used. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this? The Kubota UDT (equivalent) feels like a lighter oil to me. I'm sure UDT is fine if it's on the manual.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #2  
I already had UDT available so that is what I used. If I hadn't already had it available, I probably would have just used SAE 80-90.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil?
I'm in the same boat. I have about 3 gallons in a bucket of Kubota UDT equivalent and it takes about 2.5 gallons. I want to use it, but not if the SAE 80-90 would be best for the application.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #4  
Just did a full maintenance on my Kubota 5030 and the folks at the dealership were now recommending gear oil instead off UTDF for the front axel.

They were seeing many seal leaks on the front axel and are thinking that heavier oil will eliminate the problem.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #5  
I'd use and do use gear oil. Hydro oil is too thin imo.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil?
I'm going with the gear oil. I do have some extra UDT around, but not going to risk anything over $60.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #7  
agree w/above on 80/90. if the OP were up north, the case might be made for udt. a person could always look at syn or syn blend, but that can get costly. definitely check level after filling a few times after use as it takes a while to settle....best regards

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #8  
If it is good for the trans, it is for the front axle too. Too thin? Does your transmission leak from every seal?

Don't see the HHP tractors with this issue, they run what's in the trans.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #9  
My B2620 came from the factory with UDT in the front axle. Last dealer show I went to, two Kubota reps told me gear can be used if you are in a very hot climate, but said they recommend UDT.
So I use the UDT as I always have left over in the pail when I change the hydro/trans.

/ Kubota UDT for front axle gear oil? #10  
I changed to synthetic gear oil at first change and still lost a wheel bearing at 750 hours. Synthetic equivalent is 75W-90. At failure I searched here and found the bearing failure is not uncommon when doing a lot of loader work and is quite easy to repair. All other components like the gears and other bearings were in like new, hardly broke in, condition when I did the repair. I still like having the gear oil with EP additives in this relatively slow turning but also relatively highly loaded part of the power train. However the outer wheel bearing, a ball bearing, isn't going to survive no matter which lube if it's overloaded.