Comparison Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #11  
I have had all 3 brands, and several different transmissions. The shuttle shift has always been the cat's meow. It is not crucial, but easier than a straight shift, more power than a hydro. I also think Kubota is built the heaviest, but John Deere holds a big edge on parts. A 3 week Kubota order might be 2 or 3 days for John Deere. I have 2 older Fords, great tractors, made just before the takeover, not sure if newer New Hollands have the same reliability. The parts also tend to be expensive...I would say all 3 good brands. Several friends are fond of their Masseys, as well.

the Kubota M6040 4x4 weighs, 5445#, the Deere 5065E weighs 5070# and the NH WRKmaster 65 weighs 5700#, so NH is the heaviest, great simple reliable tractor, and i dont know where you buy your parts but we constantly have customers switch over from the green parts and buy a NH tractor becasue of parts and service from the green guys.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #12  
Why's that?

i do not wish to be negative, but the 50 to 90 pto horsepower nh's, i have been around have many more problems than the other two.you might want to add the mccormick c75 to cx105 to your list,they are the old caseih line and are good tractors ,that sometimes run a little cheaper.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland
i do not wish to be negative, but the 50 to 90 pto horsepower nh's, i have been around have many more problems than the other two.you might want to add the mccormick c75 to cx105 to your list,they are the old caseih line and are good tractors ,that sometimes run a little cheaper.
The local CaseIH dealer changes hands every two years around here and they don't seem to know what they are doing. We have had larger Case tractors, an '02 or '03, 120 hp tractor. That thing leaked at every joint. The thermostat on the block was installed backwards at the factory and nearly cracked the block from heat. It took the chief mechanic from the region to come in and finally fix it because the locals could not. It was a tractor assembled on Friday afternoon or Monday Morning and engineered on a night club napkin.

I am biased against Case and the dealership more especially; I won't buy their product. That said, I am also a bit leery of NH because, I think they are almost the same tractor with a different paint job. If not true, they come out of the same Fiat group.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #14  
Here and locally, I hear no complaints against either Kubota or JD. Not so for NH. Even if people don't outright savage NH, they don't say that NH is in the same league with the other two. It looks like a Kubota or JD just a matter of deciding.

where in TX do you live

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland
Near College Station.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #16  
I would choose Deere or Kubota. The price may make my mind up.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #17  
id go with the kubota hands down.a friend of mine bought a 6040 kubota hydro shuttle shift 4x4 w/fel.an they said that tractor was a breeze to drive an operate.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #18  
hydro shuttle shift 4x4 w/fel.an they said that tractor was a breeze to drive an operate.

There ya go - "HYDRO SHUTTLE SHIFT"!! I don't have a "dog in this fight" over what brand... but whatever you buy - get the wet clutch and hydro shift!

It'll last a whole lot longer without the problems of a dry clutch shuttle.

I think shuttle is well worth the cost for loader work over a straight transmission. It's faster, generally smoother (especially with other operator's) and easier on the person driving without having to grab gears all day!

AKfish

Oh yah, wet brakes, too!

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #19  
id go with the kubota hands down.a friend of mine bought a 6040 kubota hydro shuttle shift 4x4 w/fel.an they said that tractor was a breeze to drive an operate.

There ya go - "HYDRO SHUTTLE SHIFT"!! I don't have a "dog in this fight" over what brand... but whatever you buy - get the wet clutch and hydro shift!

It'll last a whole lot longer without the problems of a dry clutch shuttle.

I think shuttle is well worth the cost for loader work over a straight transmission. It's faster, generally smoother (especially with other operator's) and easier on the person driving without having to grab gears all day!

AKfish

Oh yah, wet brakes, too!

Agree completely on the Hydro Shuttle Shift having owned all thee types and we still own a MF 375 with FEL and "standard" transmission, it gets to be a real pain quick and as a result hasn't been used in months.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #20  
I am looking at mid range tractor for my needs. I have looked at the Kubota 6040 with the shuttle shift, loader, and front wheel assist. I have also looked at their 5640 with the traditional transmission, but the front wheel assist and loader.

I have visited JD and their tractor to is the 5065E with the loader and shuttle shift and front wheel assist.

Finally, the New Holland is the Workmaster 65 with the loader and front wheel assist. Probably shuttle shift, but I have yet to visit them.

Two questions: One, is the shuttle shift necessary with loader use or a merely a luxury. Two, How should I rank the three tractors? And why. Right now, I like the Kubota best, but their dealer is one hour from my doorstep. The JD is closer and almost as likable, and the New Holland is cheaper.

Thanks for helping out.

I agree with the other poster that the hydraulic shuttle shift is the way to go. You get a wet clutch and you don't have to clutch to change directions, just flip the level beside the steering wheel.

Soooo, i would rank them with the M6040 with the hydraulic shuttle shift in a clear first place. The 5065E and the M6040 with the plain shuttle shift in second. And the M5640 and the workmaster 65 in a distant third.

In regard to is the shuttle shift necessary with loader use or a merely a luxury. No, shuttle shift is not needed for loader work. We have a 30hp tractor with a straight, non-sync trans that has a loader that we use for chores. But, a shuttle shift, and more so a hydraulic shuttle shift, sure makes it easier and faster too.
Our 7040 has the hydraulic shuttle shift and it is awsome. It is easy to use and works great for moving round bales and any other loader work.

Ed