kubota v2203 erratic idle

/ kubota v2203 erratic idle #1  

wyoranch

Tractor
none
Ok kubota gurus, I have a problem that's probably simple but I can't figure it out. I recently bought a v2203 di motor out of a reefer unit. These motors were used in some tractors. I turbocharged and intercooled it, and now it motivates my 88 Ford ranger 4x4. Runs great, can cruise at 65-70 all day long. But my problem is with the idle. It is impossible to get my idle right. If I back out the idle screw because it is idling too high it will idle super low, low enough it lopes like it has a can, I'm guessing 400-500 rpm. Hen I will make tiny adjustments to speed it up. Make small adjustment, Rev it so it can settle back, make another adjustment, Rev, etc. Then after one too many tiny adjustments it'll Rev higher, say 800 or so. Then over the next ten seconds it slowly revs to over 1000 rpm. Sometimes I can get in the truck and put it in gear and lug it and the idle will come down and stay, or maybe it'll Rev up again. I can't get it to stay at a good idle, either too high or low

The only mods I made to the injection pump was replacement of the governor spring with a heavier one to overcome the governor and spin more rpms and I backed out the rack limit screw some to give it more fuel. I also replaced the throttle linkage with one I got off a bobcat skid steer to make hooking up my factory gas pedal easier. I unbolted the old linkage off the top of the pump, it has a nut and a lock nut, and bolted the other on.

Sorry for being long winded, didn't wanna leave anything out. Anybody have any experience with my problem?

/ kubota v2203 erratic idle
And Fyi, I ran the motor when I bought it, it didn't seem to have this problem before, though I didn't run it long due to no radiator on it

/ kubota v2203 erratic idle #4  
Could you have a air leak?

/ kubota v2203 erratic idle
The spring isn't the issue, I know several people who have used the same spring with no issues. And technically there's.no "wrong" spring, kubota uses different springs based on what rpm the motor is intended to run at depending on application. As for an air leak, that is possible I suppose. I rechecked all connections and they're tight, used new fuel line. But wouldn't an air leak cause it to run bad at all rpm? The only time it doesn't run perfect is at idle