Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My!

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Twitching a few sticks out of the woods, had help, wanted to get next winter's wood piled up.
First the attachment grappler started dripping, then one of the loader cylinders started leaking, then pissing the precious hydraulic fluid and when I pulled over to get a look it would not restart. How sweet it is!
Gonna pull the cylinder, paid a guy $300 to replace the seals 6 months ago, time to find a shop. Kubota? or Specialty shop?
The leaking grapple, at a fitting, just needs some goo I hope.
Hopefully the HST neutral switch is where the starting problem occurs.

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My!
Pulled the cylinder brought it to Kubota.
Diagnosis, bent rod, cheaper to buy cylinder.
Called Kubota parts with model and serial #.
Rod discontinued, cylinder unavailable.
Digging deeper.

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #3  
Take it to an hydraulic shop and have them make a new rod and reseal the cylinder for probably a 1/4 of the cost of a new one from Kubota.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #4  
Take it to an hydraulic shop and have them make a new rod and reseal the cylinder from probably a 1/4 of the cost of a new one from Kubota.
That is what I'd do. Hydraulic cylinders are basically all the same. There is a hydraulic shop in most rural areas. They are often located near a cluster of heavy equipment or tractor dealerships... Every tractor shop can tell you where they are. A lot of times they don't advertise.

Most have lathes, welding, and seals to repair or make new cylinders. Often for way less than the cost of dealer parts. For a while our local hydraulic repair shop was half a dozen farmers working evenings in an old barn. Open the door and it is spotless concrete with really big lathes, 3phase power and bright lights. Only open evenings. ...sort of like a social club.

Re: the grapple - If a hydraulic fitting needs goo to seal it something is seriously wrong. Don't screw around with obviously defective fittings on high pressure hydraulics. Or if you do, talk to some first responders before you continue and then think it over.

rScotty

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #5  
. Or if you do, talk to some first responders before you continue and then think it over.
What he’s trying to say is, hydraulics have a lot of pressure and can inject fluid through your skin without puncturing it. I have heard it’s a painful way to die; at the very least you can lose a limb very quickly.
Don’t mess around with hydraulic leaks.

Thanks for your opinion(s), appreciate it.
Cylinders, oem, are on backorder.
Pursuing a local fix is today's focus.
Yesterday did a search for a non oem replacement cylinder, no replies yet.
Did not describe tractor's use, got a grapple on the front moving firewood logs. Logging winch on the back. Likely pushing the loader near maximum capacity.
Always wanted a cab for winter plowing and summer mowing. Not for twitching logs, cab would be very stoopid. ;)

Just called a couple of repair facilities.
One would send it out.
The other would do it in house, 3 weeks before they look at it. Cost could go $500-800+.
Ordered a new one, $940, due in first of the month.

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #8  
Wow. Talk about some crazy prices. I think they just gave you the "I'm not interested in that job" quote.

That rod shouldn't cost more that $200 or $250 max.

Heck, I could do it for $150 and still had decent profit.

/ Kubota Won't Start, Pissing Loader Cylinder and More, Oh My! #9  
Pulled the cylinder brought it to Kubota.
Diagnosis, bent rod, cheaper to buy cylinder.
Called Kubota parts with model and serial #.
Rod discontinued, cylinder unavailable.
Digging deeper.
I've went through this over the last 37 years with dump hoist cylinders on dump trucks. Back in the day we tried using hydraulic shops and re=packed and rebuilt them, and nothing but continuous problems. Didn't take long to learn it is more cost effective to just replace with new and be done with it.

Just got an email/quote from Magister Hydraulics for $200.

Last edited: