Kubota ZG222 smoking

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
I have a Kubota ZG222 that started smoking 2 years ago and got worse this past cutting season. I checked with a couple of dealers on a rebuild kit, a new motor or maybe a short block. they said no on the short block, I have not been able to find a rebuild kit and a replacement Kubota motor is 2500 dollars and they want my old motor to destroy. I have not really checked the motor out but it is using about a quart of oil cutting one acre. My question is what do I need to check on this motor and where could I find a non Kubota replacement? the numbers on the motors are KGZ770-E2-M3

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
it is a 2009 model and I'll have to look at the hours

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
Does anyone know if a motor from a Kubota BX2230 would fit my ZG222 with out to much fabrication. I am having trouble find specs on them. I know one is diesel and one is gas. the BX2230 has a bad PTO gearbox the owner said. I have not seen it yet.

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
No idea on the motor but I am curious how many hours are on it?

the hour meter is only showing 80 hours on it but that has to be wrong. the mower look as good as new when I bought it and it only takes me about an hour to cut my yard but still that seams really low. I have always just changed the oil and filters after each cutting season. The Kubota mechanic said it sounds like I dusted the motor.

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
well I all most fixed my z-turn today, I went and looked at an exmark, looked good and had a good price on it, told the guy I wanted it if he could produce the paper work from where he had purchased it. he said he could so we agreed I would run to town and get the money and my trailer, but then on my way back about two miles from his house he calls and said the mower was sold and just left his yard. :mad: so now it's back to the Kubota.

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking #7  
I hope you gave him a good cussing being there was an agreement:smiley_aafz:

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking #8  
I have a Kubota ZG222 that started smoking 2 years ago and got worse this past cutting season. I checked with a couple of dealers on a rebuild kit, a new motor or maybe a short block. they said no on the short block, I have not been able to find a rebuild kit and a replacement Kubota motor is 2500 dollars and they want my old motor to destroy. I have not really checked the motor out but it is using about a quart of oil cutting one acre. My question is what do I need to check on this motor and where could I find a non Kubota replacement? the numbers on the motors are KGZ770-E2-M3

Have you tried "kubotapartsdealer.com" for rebuild parts?

I think that is a Kohler engine.

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
I checked the compression today and the left cylinder had 175 psi but the right only had 135 psi and the plug on that side was full of carbon and oil.

/ Kubota ZG222 smoking
Have you tried "kubotapartsdealer.com" for rebuild parts?

I think that is a Kohler engine.

no I haven't still trying to decide what I need, but I will keep them in mind thanks.