L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE #11  
Walt,
You did a fine job on designing and building the skid plate. It should give you some piece of mind when your out in the sticks. Can you get to the service locations with it on? Your right TSC needs to look into getting some paint that matches a little closer.

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE #12  
Nice job Walt. I like it. Maybe I'll copy it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some day when I have some "spare time".

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE
Jerry:

The skid plate will need to be removed to change the hydraulic oil & filters.
The engine has two (2) outward facing oil drain plugs, one on each side. The oil draining should clear the front part of the skid plate, but I'll let you know in about 85 L-39 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I didn't rush in to this job, as there are not many fragile parts exposed on an L-39, unlike my BX 2200. Designing & engineering how to attach it to the tractor took awhile. The solution was to make custom "U" bolts to fit over the rear frame x-member and the front loader frame, inside the main frame rails.

I will attempt to scan my work drawing to post here with my dimensions.

WALT

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE #14  
I have always been lucky with the ones that I have done. I have never had to use U-bolts. The tractors have always plenty of bolt holes to bolt the skid plate to. I need to put one on the tractor that I have now. I will have to build one kind of like yours with U-bolts. Thanks again for posting your pictures, I have added them to my photos so that I can look at them when I do mine.

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE #15  
Are you gonna get some shorter front U-bolts so you can dump the stacked washers? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thought we wouldn't notice with the shackles hanging down hehe.

/ L-39 SKID PLATE & PUSH BAR UPGRADE
If you are refering to photo #9, I'll explain. My photo skills are less than my fabrication skills.

Because the front axle is the only moving part protected by the skid plate, I used 1/2" x 5" Grade 8 bolts from the push bar mount point. Between the skid plate & the bottom nuts are 4" springs, which will allow the front part of the skid plate to move downward when contacted by the front axle, then push back up when the axle is level.
Time will tell if I have over or under engineered this design.

WALT