L 4400 What's your opinion?

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
There is a nice L 4400 2 WD for sale for $8500. It has about 250 hours and looks new. That seems like a great price. What is your opinion of the price and of the tractor. It does not have a loader of course, but that really is better for me. I have a M 6800 4 WD for the heavy stuff, and sorta was thinking about a smaller tractor for our club for bush hogging, pulling a drag harrow and spreading fertilizer. I bought a ATV recently and sorta wish I had gotten a smaller tractor like this instead.

Would not having 4 WD be something I would miss, if I was not using it for loader work or ground engagement? Is that price a deal?

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #2  
thats a great price on that like new tractor.the only thing to remember is not put into areas where you think youll get stuck working it.

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #3  
I think that is a good buy considering the condition of the tractor. Is it possible for you to obtain the maintenance records for the tractor? I have a L4400-4wd-FEL. It serves me well. Best wishes.

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #4  
Are there any hills that you'll be bush hogging? In my experience, compact tractors such as the L's are lacking in the weight department and if I didn't have 4wd, I would be very disappointed. It will probably be fine for what you described doing with it, although I needed 4wd to get up small grass inclines while pulling a finish mower.

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #5  
I think if you load the tires (if not done already) to get plenty of traction out of the rear tires and you avoid soft or muddy ground it probably would work well. Just remember 2wd creates a little bit of a problem because you could find yourself using the rear diff lock more often than a 4wd. When you use it you loose steering. In tight areas, like woods, this can be a bit of a pain. But usually isn't a show stopper.

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #6  
I think if you load the tires (if not done already) to get plenty of traction out of the rear tires and you avoid soft or muddy ground it probably would work well. Just remember 2wd creates a little bit of a problem because you could find yourself using the rear diff lock more often than a 4wd. When you use it you loose steering. In tight areas, like woods, this can be a bit of a pain. But usually isn't a show stopper.

I agree, with crazyal.
You can get around using the diff lock by splitting your brakes, and just applying enough braking to the slipping wheel to maintain traction. I grew up in the pre diff. lock days.:laughing:

/ L 4400 What's your opinion? #8  
Man, I have a 2wd L4300 with unloaded tires and today I got ticked off because I couldn't reverse just SLIGHTLY uphill in just SLIGHTLY damp grass to get to my trailer. Instead I just tore up two 3' sections of grass with my (ag) tires.