L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #1  

clinta

I have an acre lot to mow, minus house and driveway. I am going to use the lawn tractor for mowing, lawn work and hauling.

My dealer is really selling me on the durability of the LT160 verses the L118. I believe the L118 is running ~$2000 and the LT160 is ~$2700. My neighbor has the the L110 and loves it but he has only owned it for 1.5 years.

I don’t mind paying the extra money as long as I am getting value for the higher price and I am not overbuying for my needs.

Is the LT worth the extra up front investment?

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #2  
I own the LT160. If all you are doing is mowing grass that is flat, and hauling brush or mulch or something like that, and anticipate taking care of the machine, then don't bother paying the extra $700.

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #3  
Theoretically, the LT is more durable and will last longer. It is a bit more robust. Try them both out. For $700 bucks you could buy a bagger and a trailer and maybe a dethatcher. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #4  
I am pondering the same exact issue. Not sure about the low cost machines as they haven't been out for a long time. Just mainly wanting to know if they have an "achilles heel".

PS. I'm really an old Snapper man at heart. Love the simple rear engine riders. My JD dealer just takes such good care of me.

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #5  
We have an L118 and an LT155 and they are both good machines. Given your choice, I would probably opt for the L118 and use the extra cash for a rear bagger and front bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #6  
Now that they have announced they will sell the L100 series through Lowe's in 2006, I imagine they will feature a whole new design and product intro. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #7  
You know, that's exactly what I was thinking....

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #8  
I too own an LT160 and am extremely happy with it. I have read the arguments for and against an L vs LT machine on another website and these things never get resolved. What it always comes down to is personal preference. Drive them both, weigh the pros and cons, and make the decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Bonehead

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Given your choice, I would probably opt for the L118 and use the extra cash for a rear bagger and front bumper.)</font>

Ok, so I told my salesman to ready me a L120 with a bumper, grass catcher, and my FIL is buying me the canopy. We get the cover, die-cast model, and canvass carry all in the deal.

What made my decision? The bigger deck, bigger tires primarily. Salesman said the only problems he's seen with these are when people buy 5 acres in the country and try to rough cut it with one of these. The mower deck spindles are not as heavy duty. They are sealed bearings in a cast aluminum body. They cost $38 bucks each. The tranny costs $500. Haven't heard of one going out yet.

/ L118 or LT160 : Is the LT Worth the extra $$$$$ #10  
Enjoy, Kyle. Although there may be some build advantages to the LT series, I am convinced that the dealers took the hit in markup when JD decided to go into the mass market with the L series. There is no doubt that tractor dealers, JD, CC etc all get a healthy markup on non mass market tractors. Little or no commission will make the dealers steer you to a model with the margin. I do not think that JD got into the mass market at the expense of quality. It would have been a waste of $ and put their reputation at risk.