L245 Won't Start - No Dash Lights

/ L245 Won't Start - No Dash Lights #1  

LostCornerKid

L245 Won\'t Start - No Dash Lights

I went out to start the Kubota back in the winter to let it run for a little while, pre-heated as usual and tried to start, but it was dead. Brand new battery, so it wasn't a simple case. When I turned the starter switch to the start position the dash lights went out. I fiddled with the switch, but didn't spend much time with it then. Recently, I have had a little extra time and pushed it into the shop to take a closer look. My first assumption was the starter switch or the ignition switch failed, but after finally getting the dash apart so I could easily get to everything and testing with the multimeter I found that the ignition switch correctly throws 12V to all circuits including the starter so it isn't the ignition switch. I then noticed something peculiar, when I replaced the left-most fuse, and re-tested everything everywhere that was 12V previously now had 0 potential or was essentially grounded. Best I can tell the only wire hooked to that circuit other than the power supply is black-white and goes to the voltage regulator. Having not tested this before I am assuming this shouldn't ground the entire system.

Does anyone know that if when a voltage regulator fails it normally creates a circuit direct to ground? Does anyone have any additional thoughts or ideas? Right now I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks.

/ L245 Won't Start - No Dash Lights #2  
Re: L245 Won\'t Start - No Dash Lights

It sounds like either a bad ground or a bad high voltage connection either at the stater/solenoid or at the battery.

I don't know any particulars about your tractor but a bad/loose corroded ground and/or positive lead will cause exactly what you've explained.

I'd go through and check every connection before I started to replace components.

Good luck
Volfandt

/ L245 Won't Start - No Dash Lights #3  

Your hints could be correct, but I had the same thing happen to my KIOTI over the winter and what it end up being was a bad cell in the battery. I had the tractor six months before the battery failed. I could charge at 40 amp and get it to start with that battery but would go dead again in about two days. maybe you should have the battery checked anyway preferable with a battery hygrometer.

/ L245 Won't Start - No Dash Lights

Thanks for the input. I will check the starter also.