L2501 grill guard question

/ L2501 grill guard question #1  

garbageman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7500
Just noticed I cracked the plastic grill on the front of the tractor
I have seen several YouTube videos on building a metal grill guard
My question is what gauge of the expanded steel should I use?
Thanks
Ray

/ L2501 grill guard question #2  
Just noticed I cracked the plastic grill on the front of the tractor
I have seen several YouTube videos on building a metal grill guard
My question is what gauge of the expanded steel should I use?
Thanks
Ray
Made mine from 1/8" raised expanded metal.

I tend to go heavy because I do a lot of tree and brush work.
Screenshot_20190801-155727_Gallery.jpg

/ L2501 grill guard question #4  
Mine is a lot like wagne223. It's split near the bottom to allow the grill to fold forward.

View attachment 615514

/ L2501 grill guard question #5  
IMG_0663.JPG
B26 brush guard.
Absolutely necessary for brush work. Found some scrap SS expanded metal at the scrapyard, $2. 3x5” angel at bottom to prevent sticks from coming up. Haven’t used hitch like I use on the bucket. Maybe a tie down point for trailering?
Recently busted the plastic grill on my M59. Had bought heavy rock quarry screen to weld to brush-guard but haven’t got around to fixing. Now have more work to do. Have used perforated metal to repair plastic grills in the past and will be doing again. Kubota had a factory option of a heavy metal hood guard that bolted/hinged to the factory brush guard for the M59. Never seen one except for pictures but like the idea of added protection.

/ L2501 grill guard question #7  
Mine ain't a 'bota but this one is 1/8" plate :) I've smacked it with a couple good ones at least 4" in diameter and held up fine.

grillg.jpg

/ L2501 grill guard question #9  
we used 9 gauge expanded metal and it is plenty stout. Cost about $80 if I recall, used non-flattened carbon steel

Attachments

• L3901 grill 190118.JPG
    L3901 grill 190118.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
   / L2501 grill guard question #10  
That piranha bar sure makes brush and tree clearing so much easier. See the need to improve the grill guard.

If your are going to use Piranha bar type equipment or grapples, improve the grill guard first. Lesson by experience.