Oil & Fuel L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel?

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #1  

welndmn

Hello!

I have an 84 L275 3 cly Diesel.
It won't start. It ran when it was parked about 3-4 years ago.
I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter, but still nothing.
When I crack the injection lines, I get nothing. When I remove the valve (forget the correct name) that the line threads into in the Injection pump, I get the gravity pressue.
I am unsure if my pump is bad, or I have air in the system.
The Book I have is not that good, it does not list how to bleed the system, so Maybe I am doing that wrong. To bleed it, I am just cracking a line, and cranking the engine over. little drops come out, but no pressure

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #2  
welndmn said:
Hello!

I have an 84 L275 3 cly Diesel.
It won't start. It ran when it was parked about 3-4 years ago.
I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter, but still nothing.
When I crack the injection lines, I get nothing. When I remove the valve (forget the correct name) that the line threads into in the Injection pump, I get the gravity pressue.
I am unsure if my pump is bad, or I have air in the system.
The Book I have is not that good, it does not list how to bleed the system, so Maybe I am doing that wrong. To bleed it, I am just cracking a line, and cranking the engine over. little drops come out, but no pressure

You may give it a weak shot of ether into the air intake manifold located at the air cleaner to see if it will fire off. If it does, that will elimate the compression problem?

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #3  
The next check, are the glow plugs working, do you have a heat coil indicator for them that glows red? There maybe corrosion on the terminals; clean them with a fine grit wet/dry. If it fires with the ether a few time; you may try that procedure a few more times to un-clog the system, but others here may chime in with more professional help? Good luck.

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #4  
Have you tried bleeding air at the fuel filter? [ just gravity ] and moving to the fuel pump? [ turn the tractor motor over for this one. ]

Not familiar with your system but after the fuel filter there may be a nut you can loosen and bleed air till the fuel filter is full. On the pump there should also be a nut that can be loosened to allow air to bleed as you turn over the engine.

These are dedicated bleeding points.:D

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel?
It does have a small nut on what the old man thinks is the bleed screw, on the pump, but its on the banjo fitting for the line, so I think its only bleeding the 1' foot line from the filter to the pump, and its flowing good out of it. The fuel filter is a clear bowl, and I am not seeing any bubbles in it either.

I checked the glow plugs, and they are getting Battery voltage at them (11-12 volts).
If I spray enough either down the intake, its puffs white like it wants to kick, but I am still not seeing enough fuel I think.
I hope I can get further today.

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #6  
The nut [maybe me] I'm thinking about should be on the discharge side of the pump. :confused:

Go easy on the head cracker/rod bender stuff!:D

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #7  
You maybe getting 11 -12 volts on the glow plugs but you need to pull them to see if in fact they are heating up.
Go easy on the either you may end up doing more work than you bargained for.

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel? #8  
Is there a small lever on the pump that moves up/down or side/side? I found that cracking the fuel lines at the injector, then moving the lever bleeds the system..tighten the lines as you pump the lever, or it will suck the fuel back out. Do this for the closest cylinder first, then on to the others...Good luck

/ L275 Won't start, Air in the fuel?
Greenfield Dave said:
Is there a small lever on the pump that moves up/down or side/side? I found that cracking the fuel lines at the injector, then moving the lever bleeds the system..tighten the lines as you pump the lever, or it will suck the fuel back out. Do this for the closest cylinder first, then on to the others...Good luck
Yes their is, I will try it!