L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #11  
I think I'd start by jumpering out the safety switches and see what that got me.. then go from there by cleaning electrical connections, and then using a vom / test lamp to see just how far up the chain power is getting to before a fault occurs.

If it ends at the solenoid, try the wood stick test on it.. if that does it.. sound slike time for a new solenoid, and time to clean battery cables and starter mount flange. many solenoids die due to dirty battery cables making excessive low voltage/higher current draw needs.. that leads to burt contacts

Some of em you can open up and dress or flip the copepr contacts.. some are disposable..

post back what you find..

soundguy

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #12  
Bizarre, but had exactly the same thing happen on my BX today. Just a 'click' when I hit the start switch.

No idea what it was, fiddled with the PTO control, tranny lever and treadle. It finally started third or fourth try. It was a HOT day and I had been mowing 4 hours solid, so I wondered about heat and general filth too.

Time will tell...

Russell in Texas

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #13  
I have a L3400 that had the same problem - mine is HST.

There are 2 kill switches, under the seat and on the HST pedal.

Advice given here to me was to wiggle the HST tran pedal allowing it to come back to rest at its own speed - it worked and as soon as I get time to go to the dealer they will replace the switch.

Hope this helps

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #14  
TonyS said:
I have a L3400 that had the same problem - mine is HST.

There are 2 kill switches, under the seat and on the HST pedal.

Advice given here to me was to wiggle the HST tran pedal allowing it to come back to rest at its own speed - it worked and as soon as I get time to go to the dealer they will replace the switch.

Hope this helps

Don't forget the clutch switch. My L3400 HST won't start unless the clutch is depressed.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem
Thanks to all for your gracious and helpful information. As soon as I get my tractor back home (loaned it to a neighbor to use pulling his diesel tanks off of his truck).

I may be getting my 4240 back; and then I'll let the dealer worry about it if that happens.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #16  
Don R. said:
Thanks to all for your gracious and helpful information. As soon as I get my tractor back home (loaned it to a neighbor to use pulling his diesel tanks off of his truck).

I may be getting my 4240 back; and then I'll let the dealer worry about it if that happens.

I hope we don't here another bad loaned tractor report.

Good Luck,
Rob

Rob, the guy actually is pretty dependable. He brought it back home with a full tank of fuel. Imagine that!

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #18  
Now that's a good neighbor!

Soundguy

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #19  
If you are checking all your cable connections etc. don't forget your ground.

So far so good. I have not had a "lick" of trouble out of it for over a week. The next time that it acts up, I will check the HST pedal first, and work my way back.

What do you guys say when a friend brings over 20 gallons of diesel for your tractor for no other reason than to be a friend? To quote Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"