L2850 won't start, v1702 engine

/ L2850 won't start, v1702 engine #21  
I just re-read this thread.. Did you ever check the glow plugs?
Just use a battery charger, put the + on the spade & - on the body & turn it on.. within 7-10 seconds they should be CHERRY RED or WHITE HOT.
BE CAREFUL, they will burn the snot outa ya..
Before going to extremes w/ the head.. do an estimate on an engine overhaul.. gasket kit, rings, pistons, that kinda thing..
That 120 psi on #2 cyl. is a no-go..
Unless the exhaust or intake valve was stuck open on THAT cyl.. its probably a cracked piston or broken rings.. AND the other 2 are outa spec too..{low} Gotta have 300 psi MINIMUM to start a diesel engine.

/ L2850 won't start, v1702 engine
The GPs weren't tested, I've used a multimeter in the past to check for resistance, I curently have 2 or 3 chargers, unfortunately they are all too "smart" to complete this task, unless I can start out with 7 volts.

Based on compression and the rockers lifting completely off the valves at rest as well as exhausting from the intake valves I pulled the head and found some surface rust at the top of the cylinders.

I added around half an inch of mmo to each cylinder to see what happened, overnight the mmo drained from 1-3 but stayed in #4.

If I had a v1902 I'd drop it in or modify the tractor for a v2203, unfortunately a full overhaul of this engine doesn't seem justify able when for some time and thought I could have a good deal more horsepower for running 6' implements, 34 would be just enough, 40 would be nice and larger engines were offered in this platform so I'm not worried about the transmission.

For now I'm considering a quick valve relap and rering the pistons.

As far as what happened to this engine I presume with the vertical stack water got in and corded the cylinders as well as pitted the valves, thus #4 furthest away wasn't affected.

/ L2850 won't start, v1702 engine #23  
test the glow plugs w/ 12v.
Personally I'd do the same.. quick lap job, new rings & slap'r back together & see if it runs.
BTW> where did you get the equip. to do a compr. test?

Does anyone know what voltage these glow plugs are built for? It seems most I have looked at are 5v or 7v

/ L2850 won't start, v1702 engine #25  
Does anyone know what voltage these glow plugs are built for? It seems most I have looked at are 5v or 7v
what I would do, is remove one, leave the wire connected, and ground the body of it good, and activate the glow plugs, and see if they glow, I'd never let them get to yellow though, that is the point at which they could burn out, a bright orange is what should be maximum..

Compression tester came from harbor freight, $24 with a 20% coupon. It definitely out performs the price point.