L3130 and 6ft cutter

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter #1  

botakix

Bronze Member
hey guys, will a L3130 handle a 6ft rotary cutter, if i am just cutting pasture?

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter #2  
Probably. If you are just cutting grass and such, sharpen the blades to a keen edge. That's not how you normally do it on a rough cutter as you want it to be dull and beat the brush so it dies. A clean cut will often heal and sprout. If you can spec out low lift or no lift blades, those take less power to use.

You can also raise the rear of the cutter up so it is about 2" higher than the front. That will keep you from cutting the same clippings over and over by allowing it to shoot them out quicker. You do that with the rear wheel and set the cut height with the 3pt lift.

Let us know how it turns out!

jb

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter #3  
I have a L3130 5' rotary & 6' KK finish. I have no trouble with the rotary, the finish mower can really put a load on it. I know this is apples and oranges, but thought I'd send the info out there. I love my tractor, wish I had more power for mowing though, everything else is fine.

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter
thanks for the all the good info, guys. that is kinda strange about your 3130 straining with a 6ft finish mower, i have a 5 ft side discharge land pride finish mower, and its like its not even back there when i mow. i keep it set pretty high though, because if i try to cut too low, it windrows the grass so bad. been thinking about going to a 6ft rear discharge mower, but your comments about your experience with one, has me a bit concerned. thats the bad thing about buying these implements, you just dont know how they will work, till you get them home. thats the neat thing about this site, at least, you can gain a little insight, through other guys experiences. anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter
hey thanks guys for all the good info. kinda strange about your 3130 straining with the 6ft finish mower. i have a landpride 5ft side discharge, and its cuts with no problems at all. i do keep it set pretty high, because if i try and cut too close, it windrows pretty bad, but never really seems to strain the tractor. i was thinking of trading it off, for a 6ft landpride rear discharge, but after reading your comments, i am not sure now. anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help a relative newbie.

/ L3130 and 6ft cutter #6  
My 6' KK is a rear discharge, and I do cut pretty close.