L3240 , 65 hour review

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #11  
I have a 4740 GST kubota with 170 hrs on it. I have the same rattle that you described. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the rear end. Other times it sounds like it is coming from around the clutch. I can't help to think that something is not right. It is deffinitely something to do with the gears as the sound stops once the clutch is pressed in. It mainly does it in high range under low RPM's. I also brought this to my dealer's attention and they said it was normal. However, my gut tells me otherwise as the rattle seems to be getting loader. I know my clutch needs to be adjusted, so maybe that has something to do with it. If it solves the noise, I will let you know. I was wondering if your tractor is still making this sound or if something has failed? Other than the noise, I love my tractor.:)

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #12  
Happyman, the bleed valve on the engine is the one used to bleed the fuel system if you clean the fuel filter or run out of fuel. This seemed not to be tight and let a bit of air into the system which was only noticable after working it hard for a few minutes.
As for the 50 hour service, all the fluids were drained including the front end. after the first 50 hours it is back to normal service intervals. I guess it is to get rid of all those metal shavings from the parts "getting to know each other"

I am glad the sound from the rear end is normal.
Thanks......

I have a L3940GST 2008 Kubota Tractor. I serviced this tractor at 46 hours, changing motor oil, hydraulic fluid and filters. There was a lot of metal shavings in the hydraulic filter and oil along with a few metal shavings from the motor oil. Is this normal during the breakin period. Appreciate your response. I plan on callng my dealer but would appreciate some input from a independent source. Thanks in advance, Richard

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #13  
I did not find any shavings in my oil, oil filter or either hydro filters when I did the 50 hr service. My 2008 L3940 HST did not require changing the hydro fluid at 50 hours. This will happen at a later time....I think 200 or 250 hours. I'm at 150 right now.

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #14  
I have a 4740 GST kubota with 170 hrs on it. I have the same rattle that you described. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the rear end. Other times it sounds like it is coming from around the clutch. I can't help to think that something is not right. It is deffinitely something to do with the gears as the sound stops once the clutch is pressed in. It mainly does it in high range under low RPM's. I also brought this to my dealer's attention and they said it was normal. However, my gut tells me otherwise as the rattle seems to be getting loader. I know my clutch needs to be adjusted, so maybe that has something to do with it. If it solves the noise, I will let you know. I was wondering if your tractor is still making this sound or if something has failed? Other than the noise, I love my tractor.:)
I know this was an old post but I have the same chattering noise on my L3940. It seems like it"s coming from the 4wd lever and it will change sounds if you move the lever a little bit. I brought it to the attention of the dealer and he said they all do that, of course I didn"t beleve him so I drove 2 other new machines and sure enough they did. Anyone else checked this out,or was there a bad batch of gears? Thanks, Terry

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #15  
I know this was an old post but I have the same chattering noise on my L3940. It seems like it"s coming from the 4wd lever and it will change sounds if you move the lever a little bit. I brought it to the attention of the dealer and he said they all do that, of course I didn"t beleve him so I drove 2 other new machines and sure enough they did. Anyone else checked this out,or was there a bad batch of gears? Thanks, Terry
I have a 2008 L3940 HST and it makes the same noise. Especially in high range with the HST pedal pushed to the floor. It's normal :D

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #16  
I have a L3940GST 2008 Kubota Tractor. I serviced this tractor at 46 hours, changing motor oil, hydraulic fluid and filters. There was a lot of metal shavings in the hydraulic filter and oil along with a few metal shavings from the motor oil. Is this normal during the breakin period. Appreciate your response. I plan on callng my dealer but would appreciate some input from a independent source. Thanks in advance, Richard

"A lot" - no not normal.

Some, is normal on the first change.

Mostly on the strainer feeding the charge pump.

I had a few shavings, but only on the first go round.

/ L3240 , 65 hour review #18  
New 08 L3240HST and from hour #1 it has made the same noise. But I was prepared for it. I read this post prior to making my purchase.