L3400 hydraulic leak

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
The LA463 loader on my L3400 gear tractor started acting up today... it acted like it was struggling to lift... very slow and with a shuddering, jerky motion. Three point lift was very slow also. My first thought was to check my hydraulic fluid sight level, and it appeared O.K. I then notice it was dripping oil from under the block where the hydraulic lines connect. Upon further inspection, it appears the leak is coming from the rubber hose near the brake pedal area. The hose is in line with two metal pipes, one from the hydro oil filter, and the other side going into a device on the engine block (hydro pump perhaps?). I am surprised there is a rubber hose in this circuit... I assume it is on the inlet side of the pump, and not under pressure? I have attached a picture. My question... what is this hose?... and is there any way other than the sight level to check fluid level?... there is no dipstick on the fill cap where hydro fluid goes. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• leak.JPG
    leak.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 4,502
   / L3400 hydraulic leak #2  
Well if that's the suction line...and it appears to be then you very well could be sucking air instead of hydro fluid making it jerky.

Fix it or you could trash out the pump by running it dry.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #3  
That IS the suction line comming off the filter and going into the pump. To my knowledge, there is no other way to check the hydro fluid.

Is there a hole in the rubber hose or is it just leaking around the clamps?

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #4  
I just replaced that same hose on my L2800. $21.10....had it put on when I had my FEL put on a few weeks ago. All I have is the sight glass also. And I had to replace it a while back. Cracked somehow.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak
LD1 - there is actually a crack in the hose and it is all the way through the rubber. I just ordered the part online... no dealers in the area stocked it... $20 plus overnight shipping (about $50 total.. ouch!) I think the fluid level is fine, it is just sucking some air along with fluid, and I don't want to continue to run it and potentially damage the pump.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #6  
LD1 - there is actually a crack in the hose and it is all the way through the rubber. I just ordered the part online... no dealers in the area stocked it... $20 plus overnight shipping (about $50 total.. ouch!) I think the fluid level is fine, it is just sucking some air along with fluid, and I don't want to continue to run it and potentially damage the pump.

I just discovered this problem today on my L2800 HST. The hose is cracked and it seems to allow air into the pump. :-( I could smell hydraulic fluid first and then I noticed the FEL acting very slow and the steering is acting-up now. Hope I didnt do any serious damage.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak
Pax -

Exact same symptoms I had. As soon as I replace the hose, everything returned to normal.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #8  
Hello Westbrook...who did you order the hose part from? I have a leak in the same area on my B7800. Also was the hose difficult to replace? I am a novice mechanic. Thanks in advance for any info

/ L3400 hydraulic leak
I ordered from "tractorsmart.com". The part is very easy to change... it is held on by standard hose clamps on each end.

/ L3400 hydraulic leak #10  
Thanks for the reply. Do you have to drain the hydraulic fluid in order to change the hose? Thanks again for your help.