Oil & Fuel L3400 oil leak...

/ L3400 oil leak... #1  

Pirwin21

Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400 HST
Have had my L3400 for about two weeks, have done some mowing and some tilling with it and it has worked very well. Garaged it for the first time last weekend and I looked under it yesterday and there was a small puddle of oil. The puddle is located approximately under the seat of the tractor. Any ideas as to what this could be? I'm a complete novice when it comes to things mechanical... Is this an easy fix? or am I going to have to get the dealership to look at it? Bought it out of state and am trying to prolong letting my local dealership know that he didn't get my business.

/ L3400 oil leak... #2  
There are a few possibilities that come to mind. I'd think a 2007 would have the new sight glass but the earlier sight glasses have been a leaking problem. On the HST, there are two filters under the floor that might not have been tightened properly. If you have a loader and it was just installed, the fittings on the hydraulic block may leak, mind do a little. Usually this kind of stuff is an easy fix, not always though.

Other than that, there are still drain plugs down there and other local hoses and seals that could leak but aren't the probable, obvious sources. There could be major stuff like cracks or casting flaws but don't worry about that yet.

Take a closer look, find the leak, post a picture if you don't know what your looking at, let us know what you find. Goodluck!

/ L3400 oil leak... #3  
x2 on what he said above.

make sure the little sealing washers are on the drain plugs as well, they sometimes like to fall in the drain pan when doing oil changes.

if you don't find anything, clean it extremely well and start looking for casting flaws. And see if maybe it's running down the side, or a hose from somewhere else.

I've got one in my bay right now that I'm having to replace an axle housing because a hairline crack formed.

/ L3400 oil leak...
so i took a closer look today when i got home from work. no pictures yet, but what i did find out is that it's leaking where the lever from the 2x4 4x4 knob meets the drive train... does this help any? and if not, i'll try and get some pictures of it. Thanks.

/ L3400 oil leak... #5  
That wouldn't be my first choice place for a leak, if I'm understanding you right. That looks like the end of the line for many leaks, be sure it's not dripping down quietly from something above.

I think there are a couple of O rings in there to seal that penetration but I'm not sure how difficult they are to replace. Seems like it would start with draining all the hydraulic fluid. And might lead to a fair amount of disassembly. Probably not a novice project. kobyp would know more.

Is it under warranty?

/ L3400 oil leak... #6  
Do some double checking, and let me know if it is coming from there for sure and I'll see what I can do about getting you some information so you can decide if you want to tackle the task on your own or not.

After looking at the parts stuff, there are 2 o-rings on that shaft. You'd have to remove a few things, but doesn't look like you would have to split it. You would for sure have to drain all the fluid because you'd have to remove that bottom housing in order to replace the o-rings.

Your first post says you've only had it for two weeks, if you just bought this unit, take it back to the dealer and get it warrantied. Explain to them that you just now actually parked it in the garage where you could notice the leak.

Hope that helps.

/ L3400 oil leak...
So I cleaned near the leak so I could get a better look at it and it definitely seems to be coming from the place discussed. I've also been in contact with my dealer and he seems to think that if it in an O ring there, it would be under warranty, which is good news. Now the question is, since there's not a great deal of oil leaking, is there any harm in using the tractor until it can get into the shop?

/ L3400 oil leak... #8  
I can't see any reason it would harm anything, as long as you maintain the proper oil level.

/ L3400 oil leak... #9  
X2...Shouldn't have any problems, but don't wait forever....get it in ASAP, but keep an eye on your fluid level until then.

You might tell your dealer that you are going to do this....so they know why it took you so long to get it in.