L3400DT grind when shifting?

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #1  

banjopkr

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Hello all,
When I shift with the forward reverse level with the clutch fully depressed i get the occasional grinding when it goes into gear. It seems like this happens maybe 25% of the time. I have only 25 hours on the tractor is this normal?
Thanks

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #2  
My L3400DT does not grind as long as I push the clutch in and bring the tractor to a complete stop. Use the brake for faster forward and reverse shifts and hills.

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My L3400DT does not grind as long as I push the clutch in and bring the tractor to a complete stop. )</font>

Bingo /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The 3400's I've seen on the lot have that handy
tip written (via sticker) on the left side of the dash. Hope that helps.

/ L3400DT grind when shifting?
I kind of figured it was an operator problem I will be sure and do that.
Thanks

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #5  
Banjo,

Just wondering... How do u like the 3400? Is shifting fairly
easy when doing loader work? Do u wish u went HST?
Just general likes and dislikes would be appreciated
as I am considering one.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #6  
When I first got mine I was shifting while the tractor was still moving a little and gears were grinding. Now I come to a complete stop before shifting and no grinding. I guess it helps to read the manual and warning stickers after all! Lesson learned on my end.

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #7  
Shimon,

I learned the hardway on my Father in Laws old Long.
He caught me grinding one day /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and gave me the
look /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ L3400DT grind when shifting? #8  
I've been running mine for a couple of weeks now, not allot of loader work, but the Box-Blading sure is nicer than with my (hydro) BX. Set the speed and concentrate on the blade. Even with the cruise set on the BX the speed would vary and I'd constantly be adjusting it.

I still rattle 'em a little every now and again going from forward to reverse, mostly because I try to "cheat" before it comes to a complete stop. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So much more pulling power than the BX. Still amazes me.

TomKioti,
I do like the DT alot and I don't reget the choice. I went with it because when I rented HST tractors in the past I felt I had them running hard( high RPM's) most of the time and it just seems that this would be hard on the engine not to mention feul economy. I am learning that I need to be patient when changing from forward to reverse I played around tonight and had no grinding at all.
I love this tractor and the only downside is the 3 point valve issue. If you are going to get the 3400 have the dealer change it out before you take it home.
chris

Since posting this last weekI have been paying really close attention to shifting I am still getting grinding quite often. I am following the proper shifting procedure to the letter. I rarely get grinding when I am doing loader work going from forward to reverse. It's mostly when the tractor has been idleing or when I have been backhoeing and I go to move the machine to repostion. In other words it has been sitting a while running stopped with the parking brake on I go to shift and It grinds, somtimes hard, into gear.
Do I need to adjust the clutch possibly? Any input would be great.
Chris