L3430 AC compressor not kicking in

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #11  
Heater coolant line on my '91 JD 4255 has had a manually operated coolant heater hose valve installed since I purchased it used in '93. That valve has remained closed because a tractor heater in Sunny Texas Winter temps is rarely needed but after a few minutes of operation then one needs AC to cool on lower setting
Opposite here up in Michigan but still have one anyway just because most heater control valves leak. Never could understand why tractor builders don't install them in the first place. Every big I ever drove including the one I own, has heater control valves on the water manifold in addition to the heater mix control valve.

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #12  
134A refrigerant is more intolerant to an overcharge than R12.

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #13  
AC compressor clutch not engaging could be due to refrigerant low or high pressure switches performing the tasks that they were designed to perform

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #14  
I did a thread a few years back under Kubota owning and operating, detailing how to insulate the non insulated roof on Kubota tractors. Your blow molded roof is a heat magnet in the sun and really puts a strain on the AC unit trying to cool down the cab. I insulated mine with foil-bubble-foil sheet (available at any box store) and glued it to the underside of the roof with 3M spray on adhesive. Makes a huge difference on a hot sunny day when the sun is beating down on the roof. I've included a picture with the insulation installed.

Attachments

• 100_0004 (1).JPG
    100_0004 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
   / L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #15  
Jim... I've switched to dried propane as it's compatible with all modern refrigerants and it provides a much better thermal transfer. Not cheap and hard to find however.

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #16  
Nothing is cheap TODAY due to the China Flu & USA politicians that like to give $$$$$$$$ AWAY. How much does dry propane cost per ounce?

Many yrs ago a local shade tree mechanic was installing regular propane in auto/tractor AC systems. Somehow local law enforcement office got notified of him installing propane in AC systems & told him to cease & desist!

Last edited:
   / L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #17  
Tx Jim, I get it that the coolant pressures need to be checked. My intention is to eliminate a lack of voltage or other electrical failure before I get someone else involved OR buy gauges myself. Just the elementary stuff that doesn't cost me anything is what I want to eliminate. AND, I will install a ball valve on one or both heater hoses today.

Thank you all for your input.
I would not put valves on both heating lines, you could actually trap pressure in the system or create a vacuum by cooling and heating cycles.
One valve in one line will prevent unintentional heat and not cause any issues.
As far as your cooling, I believe in doing all you can by yourself. However without putting a gauge on the system you are shooting completely blind
you have no idea if the low or high pressure switch is holding you out or the temperature control.

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #18  
Nothing is cheap TODAY due to the China Flu & USA politicians that like to give $$$$$$$$ AWAY. How much does dry propane cost per ounce?

Many yrs ago a local shade tree mechanic was installing regular propane in auto/tractor AC systems. Somehow local law enforcement office got notified of him installing propane in AC systems & told him to cease & desist!
I would have to wonder under what authority they had to tell him to cease and desist.
Propane is a good effective coolant gas.
1662910878196.png

1662911266537.png

/ L3430 AC compressor not kicking in #19  
I would have to wonder under what authority they had to tell him to cease and desist.
Propane is a good effective coolant gas.

You would have to live in my local county to fully understand.