L345DT Block heater

/ L345DT Block heater #1  

Cavalry

My l345DT came from Texas so it looks like this will be her first winter. We usually get a week or 2 of 0* weather and a couple cold days of -15*.

I have seen freeze plug variety and the stick on version. What is available for my tractor and from where?

/ L345DT Block heater #2  
Almost any auto parts supply store should have the parts you need.

You do have an option, the stick on the pan heater, frost plug type or the lower radiator hose heater. You will find advocates for any of these heating systems.

The fastest installation is a tarp over the tractor with a small electric heater with fan set under it. This heats the whole tractor.

For really cold areas the frost plug or inline may be favored by native inhabitants.:D

In days long since past there were people who placed pans of hot ashes under the oil pan.

/ L345DT Block heater #3  
My l345DT came from Texas so it looks like this will be her first winter. We usually get a week or 2 of 0* weather and a couple cold days of -15*.......

I remember that my L345DT did not like to start when it was cold - so you are doing the right thing to add some kind of heater. The L345DT's oil pan is ribbed and has a tunnel for the front driveshaft so there isn't a nice location for the magnetic contact type heater. A lower-hose heater or the freeze plug type might do the best job. Even with it warmed up a little with a heater it may need a very brief sniff of ether (starting fluid) on the coldest days. The key is to use very little - using too much damages the engine.

/ L345DT Block heater #4  
Depending upon model year, you may or may not have a threaded port on your engine block that very quickly accepts an easy to install and very effective block heater available through Kubota and through reputable after market manufacturers. Earlier models (mine is a 1982) lack such a port. If yours is a similar earlier model, please refer to a new separate thread that I posted today on the subject. I operate my L345DT in northern Maine and start and use the tractor frequently at temperatures between -20 and 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I do not have a block heater. My most valuable cold weather start-up tip, other than a block heater and a strong battery, is to run synthetic oil in the winter. I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40. You also have to be patient with the slow heat-up of the engine glow-plugs before hitting the starter. Hope this helps.