L3700 Bottom Plow

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #1  

oneillmj

Bronze Member
I just learned I should use a bottom plow to turn over four acres of clay soil, prior to discing it for replanting in grass. Pardon my ignorance, but would an L3700 be up to this kind of plowing, and if so what type of bottom plow should I get? I think there are singles or doubles maybe.

Mike

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #2  
I just learned I should use a bottom plow to turn over four acres of clay soil, prior to discing it for replanting in grass. Pardon my ignorance, but would an L3700 be up to this kind of plowing, and if so what type of bottom plow should I get? I think there are singles or doubles maybe.

Mike

If it is just going to be a yard, I wouldnt go through the effort to plow. Just bust up the soil with a disc and seed it.

But if you insist on plowing, the 3700 should be able to handle a 2-bottom 3ph plow provided they are only 10's or 12's. If you go bigger, I'd drop to a one bottom. But if the soil is VERY hard packed, even those suggestions may be a workout for your tractor.

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #3  

Mike

Something like this should do the job. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• ford2-14coultersfront450.JPG
    ford2-14coultersfront450.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 238
  • ford2-14coultersside450.JPG
    ford2-14coultersside450.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 224
   / L3700 Bottom Plow
LD1, if you think I could get away with only discing the clay ground I'd certainly like to not have to purchase a plow. What should I be looking for in a disc to obtain that a L3700 could pull. Mind you I know nothing about them, but am trying to learn. These acres will be bush-hogged and cleared of any small trees before discing. They've gone back to nature these past ten years. Lots of weeds and bramblebushes. Thanks for any advice. Thanks Ken for the pics.

Mike

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #5  
Good luck trying to get it worked up with a disk alone. Not that it can't be done, but it is going to take a really heavy disk and lots of trips. We tried it and wound up buying a used 3 bottom for a couple hundred bucks that you can use and then sell for what you paid.

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #6  
You won't be happy disking as the trees, brambles, etc. will come back up. If you want to get rid of them, you need to plow and turn the roots up. Your tractor can easily handle a two bottom plow with 14" moldboards.

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #7  
You won't be happy disking as the trees, brambles, etc. will come back up. If you want to get rid of them, you need to plow and turn the roots up. Your tractor can easily handle a two bottom plow with 14" moldboards.

What he said. The plow manufacturer doesn't matter. Any 2 bottom plow will work, even one of the old pull type that you would hook to the drawbar. A 3-point plow will let you make shorter turns, which is important on only 4 acres.

After you plow, you will need to disc and harrow to make a seed bed. The plow leaves a very rough surface. It only turns the dirt over, it doesn't break up the clods. You will get the best results with moderate moisture in the soil, just enough to moisten the clods without making the ground muddy.

/ L3700 Bottom Plow
Thanks Larry, jfay, and TripleR. After I plow and turn the roots up, in order to let the upturned roots die off first, should I wait a while before discing and harrowing? I will get a three point, two bottom plow with 14 inch moldboards as suggested.

Last edited:
   / L3700 Bottom Plow #9  
Thanks Larry, jfay, and TripleR. After I plow and turn the roots up, in order to let the upturned roots die off first, should I wait a while before discing and harrowing? I will get a three point, two bottom plow with 14 inch moldboards as suggested.

No matter whether you let the roots die or not, you will need to use some sort of herbicide to control the weeds, brambles and such. I would check with someone locally to determine if a pre-emergent will work well for you in conjunction with something like Cross bow or other broad-leaf control.

Larry sounds like he has good advice. I like to wait a little before disking, but soil type will dictate what works best. As mentioned, too much moisture will make it hard to work and too little may allow the clods to harden. I use a disk and a spike tooth harrow, but have used spring tooth or soil conditioner.

In my area, no one buys new plows as they are just too easy to find used for a couple hundred bucks or less.

/ L3700 Bottom Plow #10  
I have a similar situation - about 8 acres with only bush hogging 3 times a year over the last 12 years. No brush, but nothing but weeds. I want to establish the fields as pasture for horses using orchard grass.

I'm way over budget with implements this year. BUT, reading this thread gave me the idea to use a very old 2 bottom plow that was left on the property. is there a way to use only a plow to get the grass going? I also have a box blade that might work to improve the surface for planting. I'd love to get the seed in this year but the budget is tight. I have an L3430 with loaded R4s that I think will pull the plow.

if this doesn't work, would it make sense to plow now and plant this spring after the clods break down over winter?