L3700 starting problem

/ L3700 starting problem
Keep it simple stupid, I was unable to decipher the date stamps on the battery and couildn’t recall exactly how old it was. After having checked all the obvious connections and done some housekeeping in the engine bay all that was left was a couple of hundred for a new battery. I doubted that due to the fact that it has been “hot” up to and including the morning of failure? New battery installed and boom, engine fired right up! All‘s well that ends well. Thank for your comments.

/ L3700 starting problem #12  
L3700SU. Repairing road after 5” rain yesterday. Shut down to fuel and no restart, acting like dead battery. Ran jumper cables and no go, showing 14volts. Lights work and glow plugs work but turn key to start, a couple of labored revolutions and click.

I have the service manual and will consult tonight. Direct power to dismounted starter motor to check?

I’ll in the NE Caribbean and it looks like our storm season comes early this year. I have 3/4 mile of steep dirt to my house with tractor necessary to preserve access.

Any learned thoughts???
when starter does not turn over, have someone hold the key on start and tap on the back or top of the starter with a small hammer or ratchet, if it turns over, the brushes are worn out or the brushes are contaminated with dirt-debris.

/ L3700 starting problem #13  
Keep it simple stupid, I was unable to decipher the date stamps on the battery and couildn’t recall exactly how old it was. After having checked all the obvious connections and done some housekeeping in the engine bay all that was left was a couple of hundred for a new battery. I doubted that due to the fact that it has been “hot” up to and including the morning of failure? New battery installed and boom, engine fired right up! All‘s well that ends well. Thank for your comments.
In the original post you said you tried jumper cables from another battery and it did not work. That COULD mean that your old battery (at least one cell of it) was so bad the that the jumper cable battery could not overcome that problem. That's a little rare but I have seen it a couple of time over many years. Glad you solved the problem !

/ L3700 starting problem #14  
In the original post you said you tried jumper cables from another battery and it did not work. That COULD mean that your old battery (at least one cell of it) was so bad the that the jumper cable battery could not overcome that problem. That's a little rare but I have seen it a couple of time over many years. Glad you solved the problem !
I have seen it on semi's before,3 battery's check great but would not turn over, the 4th battery had a bad cell and it stopped the 3 battery's current from turning over the starter. I disconnected the bad battery and it whizzed over like new. replaced battery, job done, had another,a van (diesel) 2 batterys, brand new batterys, fleet customer, keep going dead once a week. check batteries & for a drain, everything tested well.put hydrometer,test,electronic battery test,load test,alternator test,after 2 weeks kept coming back. did a hail mary and replaced both battery's again, that solved the problem,battery's tested good with every test, but were still bad

/ L3700 starting problem #15  
I have seen it on semi's before,3 battery's check great but would not turn over, the 4th battery had a bad cell and it stopped the 3 battery's current from turning over the starter. I disconnected the bad battery and it whizzed over like new. replaced battery, job done, had another,a van (diesel) 2 batterys, brand new batterys, fleet customer, keep going dead once a week. check batteries & for a drain, everything tested well.put hydrometer,test,electronic battery test,load test,alternator test,after 2 weeks kept coming back. did a hail mary and replaced both battery's again, that solved the problem,battery's tested good with every test, but were still bad
Yes, and the multi-battery circumstance definitely complicates debugging the issue. The OP's Kubota L3700 would just be a single battery. He probably has added issues down there in St Croix with salt water, salty air and corrosion galore. Ouch on his having to pay $200 for a battery.