Loader L3800 for firewood

/ L3800 for firewood #11  
I built a bunch of crates to store the wood in to minimize handling. When needed I can just bring one up and set it by the house or shop.

I used 50" x 16' cattle fence from tractor supply, bent and welded to 20ga metal angle screwed to the top of pallets.

14525737608_a86e5d0e66.jpg
[/url] Fire wood crate by jlaws1, on Flickr[/IMG]

14515440342_2f2622babd.jpg
[/url] 20140422_191955 by jlaws1, on Flickr[/IMG]

/ L3800 for firewood #12  
Bucket works for me- I can lift it onto my deck 12 feet from my door. I used to use the carryall but the bucket gets me closer. If I roofed over the deck- pallets like above would be a nice way to go.

/ L3800 for firewood #13  
I've started using IBC totes. Remove the plastic container & just use the cage which has the integrated pallet on the bottom. My L3200 lifts them just fine when full of wood. Can only lift one half full of water if I fill the tank before I remove it.

Intermediate bulk container - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They run $100 or so locally for clean ones, a little more for food grade. A local paint company sells nasty ones for $20. Just need to remove the tank & dispose of that along with the gallon or two of paint left in the tank.

/ L3800 for firewood #14  
I think you guys need larger tractors although I must admit JLwoodworks gizmo and his small JD look real handy in fetching from the woodpile .....as long as its snow free and on even ground.

/ L3800 for firewood
I will definitely try the JLwoodworks suggestion. Thank you

/ L3800 for firewood #16  
I like the concept JLWoodworks! Thanks for the photo. It looks well built.

I see where you left the back a little open for access. Is that a 42 x48" skid which would use 15' of the panel? How much wood do you get in it? I usually cut about 18" length which meant I wanted 4.5" fore aft and I was wanting at least 6' wide which means the panel would not come all the way around. I was thinking bending the back corners would help stabilize the sides but I couldn't get them completely together at the size I want.

/ L3800 for firewood #17  
Nothing fancy for me, either. I load it in the bucket from the splitter to stack it. Then take the seasoned wood and bring the tractor to the porch, and load from the bucket onto a two-wheeled dolly.
image-L.jpg

Then I take it from the dolly inside to stack. Three or four bucket loads, I believe.
image-L.jpg

/ L3800 for firewood #18  
my attached garage is 24 ft deep. My truck is 20 feet long. I built a wall in front of my truck 5 feet high, about 3 feet from the back wall. I put 1/4 inch plywood on the inside of the wall. This leaves me a 'room' about 3 feet wide and 10 feet long, with the left end open, in front of my truck.

I stack all my wood outside in round holshausen style piles. When the pile is seasoned enough for use, I fill my bucket from the pile and drive it into the garage and dump it over the wall into the 'room'. There's no handling it in the garage that way. It takes about 8-9 bucket loads to fill the 'room' to the top of the 5 foot wall. Sometimes I'll pile it a little higher than the 5 ft wall. ... no problems yet with overfilling onto the hood of my truck. :).

When I need some in the house, I have a carrier that I load up and bring it in and place it in a woodbox I have next to the stove. I can get a days wood in the box at a time with about 3-4 trips to the garage.

I don't really need any special carriers as that would prevent me from just dumping it over the wall and cause me another handling step.

I like to handle it as little as possible.

/ L3800 for firewood #19  
I think you guys need larger tractors although I must admit JLwoodworks gizmo and his small JD look real handy in fetching from the woodpile .....as long as its snow free and on even ground.

I would love a bigger tractor. The 855 is great, but its sort of like an awkward teenager with gangly appendages. The thing i cant argue with is picking up this whole lot (with under 1000hrs) for $7k

14329945969_4f3b944f78.jpg
[/url] 20130727_145454 by jlaws1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Since I converted to SSQA I can now carry the pallets with the loader. Snow has not been an issue, and they only have to go from behind the shop to the house so no worry about side slopes.

16766121698_5ac47b424d.jpg
[/url] Fire wood crate by jlaws1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Creamer

Re: L3800 for firewood
I like the concept JLWoodworks! Thanks for the photo. It looks well built.

I see where you left the back a little open for access. Is that a 42 x48" skid which would use 15' of the panel? How much wood do you get in it? I usually cut about 18" length which meant I wanted 4.5" fore aft and I was wanting at least 6' wide which means the panel would not come all the way around. I was thinking bending the back corners would help stabilize the sides but I couldn't get them completely together at the size I want.

Creamer, youre correct on the size of the pallet and the cut out. A full crate will hold at least a face cord. I suppose you can build whatever size you want by welding extra fence together.

Ive got 10 crates built so far. I have really enjoyed handling the firewood less this year. Now with the addition for the tractor etc i put on my shop I can bring a crate inside, set it on a 4 wheel dolly, and roll it up to a window that is now between buildings, and faces the wood furnace. And by shear luck, the cut out in the crate lines up exactly with the window.

16929462266_877c3db9b7.jpg
[/url] 20150125_121756 by jlaws1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jason

/ L3800 for firewood #20  
That looks like great planning! The crates match your tractor and mate up well with the end usage. It looks like a great design to me. Thanks for sharing!