L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #1  

Hankster12

Tractor
Kubota L3800
Embarrassing. I flipped my L3800 doing some dirt work. After figuring out I was OK I starting turning the ignition key off and on and off trying to get engine to shut off. No luck. It ran up and down and finally shut down after about 90 seconds. I was still turning the key but not sure that did anything. What was going on??

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #2  
It was running on it's own engine oil, also called a runaway engine. No way to shutdown other than cap the intake, stall it with high gear or wait till there is no oil left. Two of these options weren't really an option in your case.

When this happens, there isn't really any good news coming out that engine, unfortunately. Usually, this causes loads of damage inside, but time will tell in your case.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #3  
I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like it was running on oil from being upside down. The key shuts down the fuel via a solenoid.
Anyway, glad you weren't hurt... Next time have the rops up.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #4  
Glad you are okay! What an unfortunate thing to happen especially with the ROPS folded.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #5  
If it was running on engine lubricating oil there should have been a huge cloud of black smoke. It did not run out of engine oil (if that's what it was) in 90 seconds. Possibly the shutoff relay was knocked out of function in the crisis of the moment. Best thing one can do in this kind of event is to smother the intake with an old rag or whatever is handy. With some luck you may not have the dire damage others have mentioned.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #6  
If it was running on engine lubricating oil there should have been a huge cloud of black smoke. It did not run out of engine oil (if that's what it was) in 90 seconds. Possibly the shutoff relay was knocked out of function in the crisis of the moment. Best thing one can do in this kind of event is to smother the intake with an old rag or whatever is handy. With some luck you may not have the dire damage others have mentioned.
Very possible indeed. Unless the seat switch has been bypassed, I would imagine it would've cut the engine long before it completely rolled over.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #7  
...Unless the seat switch has been bypassed, I would imagine it would've cut the engine long before it completely rolled over.
It looks like the seat is flipped up, the engine would still run if that is the case.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off
Thanks for those quick replies. Lots of white smoke, for sure. Oil going everywhere and none showing on dipstick after sitting upright a day. Got it started today and there's a big knocking that my mechanic neighbor is guessing is 1 or 2 bearing rods. Not good, huh?
And, agree on the ROPS...already got that earful from the boss.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off #9  
Glad your okay.
Let the tractor 3 or 4 days than try turn motor over by hand/wrench hopefully engine not lock up.

/ L3800 upside down and wouldn't turn off
Yes, today on day 3 I got it staryed