L3800

/ L3800 #1  

homey53

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, 2016 Kubota BX25 DBL
My son has an L3800 (I think that's the Model #). It has the quick detach FEL. What would be necessary to install a log grapple, besides the grapple itself?

/ L3800
Redmaher, can you elaborate a little? Third control is another hyd. control valve?

/ L3800 #4  
Yes sorry the grapple should have the hydraulic cylinder you'll need a controller.

/ L3800 #5  
My son has an L3800 (I think that's the Model #). It has the quick detach FEL. What would be necessary to install a log grapple, besides the grapple itself?

When you say quick detach FEL, are you referring to the FEL itself or to the bucket? Al recent Kubota loaders are Quick detach, meaning you can take the whole FEL off, but that doesn't help you with getting the bucket itself off. You need the SSQA bucket system. Some L3800's do have this, as it was a factory option, but the majority do not, as the tractor was sold as an "economy model" and not a lot of the units sold had SSQA from the dealer. I installed SSQA myself on my L3400 which was a forerunner to the L3800. It cost about $1000 for the adaptor and a new bucket.

As to the hydraulic portion there are three ways to do it. Use a rear remote if it has one. This is the cheapest option, but a couple of things:. Not many L3800's came with a rear remote. There is that "economy model" thing again., though it was available as an option, and the placement of the control lever for the remote (if it has one) may not be very convenient to use for grapple operation. AND if you have to install a rear remote, it would not be cost effective just for this purpose.

You can use a diverter valve,. This is a valve you add on to the tractor to "divert" either the curl/dump function or lift/lower function of your present loader valve for just a second by pressing and holding a button while you operate the valve to control your new grapples lid. When you let go of the button the loader valve reverts back to normal function.

You can install a true 3rd function electric over hydraulic valve in the power beyond circuit of your tractor. This is independent of your loader valve and is "downstream" of it in the flow of fluid thru your tractor. It is in the "power beyond" (green label for Kubota) hose connection as the fluid flows out of the normal loader valve on its way to the 3pt hitch. You break this power beyond connection and install this new electrically operated hydraulic valve so that fluid flow can be thrown to open and close your new grapple lid by actuating one of two buttons or a two way rocker switch. This is probably the most expensive solution, but is often preferred

So to sum it up: You must have SSQA (at least from a practical point of view, because pin on sucks on all accounts). This gets you the ability to change from bucket to grapple or forks or whatever rapidly. AND you must have the ability to run the hydraulic cylinder up there on your grapple, by one of the three methods I have outlined above.

Need more detail? Just holler, and we will try to shed a light on it. :) Been there, done that, have a T shirt..:)

/ L3800
James, sorry I wasn't clear on the bucket removal. Yes it has the SSQA, so you can remove just the bucket, very easily. I believe, without having it in front of me, it's just a matter of releasing 2 levers. Seems the diverter valve may be the easiest way to go?

/ L3800 #7  
James, sorry I wasn't clear on the bucket removal. Yes it has the SSQA, so you can remove just the bucket, very easily. I believe, without having it in front of me, it's just a matter of releasing 2 levers. Seems the diverter valve may be the easiest way to go?

Good, you have the biggest part out of the way with the SSQA. Yes two levers on the kubota version of this. A diverter valve is the cheapest way to go. Are you or him able to put things together and figure things out for yourselves? if so, I can point you to some things and places. Or you can have a dealer do it. Probably $300 for yourselves. but probably nearly twice that if you have someone else do it. Don't forget there are articles here on this forum if you hunt for them of guys doing this sort of thing for themselves.

/ L3800
I think we'll probably try and do it ourselves. So I may be calling on you in the future for some help? Thanks James.

/ L3800 #9  
   / L3800 #10  
The dump circuit on the economy model Ls only have regen dump. No power dump like you would expect. Read up on regen & it's odd effects on 3rd functions and/or put the diverter on the lift circuit.