L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower?

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
I have a L3940 and have been using a 3 pt rear snow blower. I've had a difficult whiplash accident which is making backing up extremely painful.

I'm trying to find a solution to install a front blower. I had a local dealer quote the subframe and blower for the tractor but the cost was over $10K Cdn.

They have told me that the mid-PTO runs at a much higher speed which makes a conversion of the 72" Kubota blower that I have not feasible.

Any suggestions? I can't seem to find much availability of a front blower - I have seen the L2194a would work with a new subframe might work.

We also have a RTV900 without a PTO but maybe the hydraulic pump could be installed to make a blower work on the sxs?

Anyone know of 3rd party mfg that might work for the L3940 or the RTV900?

Thanks

L3940, tiller, blade, blower, & mower.
RTV 900

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #2  
Used is always an option. I drove from middle-Michigan to Denver, CO to get mine. I used onecraigs.com to search the entire US (I know, you're in canada). Onecraigs - Search all of Craigslist nationwide

Otherwise earskine makes one, using the rear PTO and a sub-frame. Might be a similar price, even.

People have made hydraulic driven ones to go on the loader arms (that's what I'd really like!).

Too bad insurance doesn't cover it.....
Good luck.
You will like driving forward. My wife insisted I get the front mount one (aww, shucks....).

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #3  
Any suggestions? I can't seem to find much availability of a front blower - I have seen the L2194a would work with a new subframe might work.

I think they say to use the L2194 for your tractor.
The L2195 is bigger and covers your track width better when turning. It's what I run on my L3940 and I have *no* power issues. My dealer will put them on the L3240 even.

This one is a bit locationally challenged for you, and still priced higher than what I got mine for, but.....
Kubota L2195 Front Mount Snowblower

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #4  
I would also highly recommend the 72" model and search for used. The 72" model works on my L3130, so you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever.

When searching for a blower for my tractor, I was put off by the high cost of a new unit. Used ones are out there and I wouldn't be afraid to buy and have it trucked. When I couldn't find one locally (within 300 miles) decided to buy one located in Iowa on consignment at a Kubota dealer. Sometime you can find the blower and subframe together and other times independently. The subframe adjusts for the different size L-series tractors, but the one driveshaft (mid pto shaft) might be different depending on what tractor it came off of. They are available from Kubota if needed.

If the asking price is too high, don't be afraid to offer what you can afford.

Good luck

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...ront-mount-snow-blower-rarely-used/1227374494
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rModel=1&catid=22037&Mdltxt=L2185&Manu=KUBOTA
Kubota L2185 Snow Blower For Sale >> Ginop Sales, Inc., MI
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...=&HDROR=&ltf=&PCID=&dlr=&cdts=&cdte=&dgn=&lp=
Front mount snowblower
http://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/5949811830.html

Last edited:
   / L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #5  
How about a back up CAMERA?

Maybe two back up CAMERAS?

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #6  
I just read a thread on here about someone converting a rear unit to front mount. They put it on their FEL with quick attach adapter they made. The PTO came from the back to the front tractor axle and then used a standard PTO shaft from there. He said he could lift about 18" before PTO starting binding. I tried searching and did not have any luck.

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #7  
One idea, if you have a FEL, is to get a PTO hydraulic pump and put a hydraulic snowblower on your FEL. HOWEVER, even though this could be a great solution compared to a subframe, it won't save you much money. Quickattach.com has suitable pump, among many possible vendors. With this set up you can switch over easily to an FEL mounted snow plow, and you don't have to take your FEL on and off when mounting / dismounting the blower.

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower?
Some great ideas - thankyou.

I pitched the idea to insurance and they had trouble with the $11K Cdn, as I did. I suspect they will need to pay for it, likely in the settlement. Think they have a choice of paying for the real estate fees or the blower. That will be part of the final battle.

Camera's will likely be a challenge with snow flying around.

Does anyone know the part number for the subframe - L4455? Any thought on it cost - I'm gueesing around $2,000 USD? I haven't found much on the subframe for used so I would like need to buy it from Kubota. Can the rear mounted blower be converted? I know the gear box needs replacing but notice the front mount is 4 pt not 3, is that correct?

I thought about the quick hitch to use the loader sub thought it might be easy to damage the blower by hitting into the ground or maybe ice?

Thanks

Garth

/ L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #9  
Garthh,

The part number for the subframe L4455 is the number used for ordering. It wouldn't be purchased through the parts department, but the sales department. Sounds strange, but this is how Kubota does it. This is know as Wholegoods. According to the wholegoods price sheet from 2014, L4455 is $2,000 and a driveline kit was also needed. This part seems to be for the Lxx60 Series tractors, so I don't know if it is an option for your Lxx40 series tractor.

L2180-1 (an older L2180 can be converted to L2185-1 with a few small parts) seems to be the correct subframe for your tractor.

Hopefully the attachment will provide some information on what all is needed. Prices are almost 3 years old, but it should provide an estimate.

Added in EDIT: Found Jan. 2016 Wholegoods Prices. Kept original attachment in the event there is useful content in it.

Attachments

• Snowblower Front 02.pdf
    321.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Snowblower Front 03 2016.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 1,137
Last edited:
   / L3940 Rear Snow Blower --> Front Blower? #10  
I have a L3940 and have been using a 3 pt rear snow blower. I've had a difficult whiplash accident which is making backing up extremely painful.
I'm trying to find a solution to install a front blower. I had a local dealer quote the subframe and blower for the tractor but the cost was over $10K Cdn.
They have told me that the mid-PTO runs at a much higher speed which makes a conversion of the 72" Kubota blower that I have not feasible.
We also have a RTV900 without a PTO but maybe the hydraulic pump could be installed to make a blower work on the sxs?
Anyone know of 3rd party mfg that might work for the L3940 or the RTV900?
Thanks

Talk to the good folks at
MK Martin | Meteor - Loader Mount
I have a 3 point front mount blower on my Kioti. It runs off the mid-mount PTO.