L3940D FRONT WHEELS LOCKED !! RIDDLE ME THIS??

/ L3940D FRONT WHEELS LOCKED !! RIDDLE ME THIS??
Attachment 614515 doesn't open but in the .pdf below, parts 30 and 40 are select-thickness shims used to set up gear clearance. Often new bearings are consistent enough to use the existing shims when reinstalling the original gears. If approx .005 to .015" backlash can be felt the setup is ok.

Thanks for the info above. I still need to remove the existing collar because it is visibly scored. The "barrel" the pinion gear, collars, and bearings is open to view into and see the ring gear. What I believe is the existing scored #030 collar is in the barrel at the bottom, above the ring gear. All of components came out except the #030 collar closest to the spiral bear of the pinion shaft. Could you explain how to measure the backlash? Is this the amount of "play between the collar inside and pinion gear outside, measured by a feeler gauge?

/ L3940D FRONT WHEELS LOCKED !! RIDDLE ME THIS?? #12  
The scored shim may be ok to use with any high points taken off.

Backlash is usually measured with a dial indicator - but without an access cover, clearance can be set well enough by trial and error assembly. If it turns harder as the bolts are snugged up, it's too tight. It should have enough clearance to feel it turning back and forth. Another trick is putting a small test strip of flat plastic .005 to .015 thick in the meshing teeth, adjusting the shims till it turns without clearance. Really perfect setup is more important for high speed, multi-thousand mile service. Good luck, Dick B

/ L3940D FRONT WHEELS LOCKED !! RIDDLE ME THIS??
Well, I wanted to thank everyone for your help in getting my tractor up and running. Finally got it all back together late Saturday afternoon and it seems to be okay.