Backhoe L39_ Sure helps to have some weight and wider rear track

/ L39_ Sure helps to have some weight and wider rear track #11  
I would love to have a TLB the physical size of the old L48 with M59 power, 5 ton weight, big tires, cab, and really stout durable Loader/Bucket with 11-12 ft. hoe. The yellow stuff is just a bit to big, CASE comes close to '"ight size".
I like the M59, but to keep it trailer friendly, Kubota did don't put enough iron in it (IMHO). That applies to the L39- L45 also.
adding weight to my machine was a good move for me. Much safer and capable. Hoverer the practical limit on ballasting the L39- l45 is about 8500 Lbs. max, making it heavier would be rough on the machine mechanically and a real dog with the limited HP.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if someone made a true commercial quality machine with all the good features of the yellow machines - but at about half the size.... The M59 comes close, but lacks an extendahoe and a cab. One of the reasons I bought a JD310 this year was just curiosity about how it actually compares to the M59. Both machines were made the same year. I'm a mechanic/machinist/engineer hence the curiosity factor is important. It's too early for more than first impressions, but what I'm feeling so far is surprise at how either can do most of the same work. Worked at full speed and capability the 310 should be capable of getting twice or three times the work done in the same time, but as a hobbyist I work at my pace rather than the machine's capability so the ultimate ability doesn't count for as much as it might.

One obvious difference is that the JD310 uses a lot of cast components where the same part on the M59 is made from laser-cut steel components that are then jig welded. That accounts for a lot of the difference in weight - casting a part in steel being a more massive way to get similar strength.
luck, rScotty

/ L39_ Sure helps to have some weight and wider rear track
Yes, wouldn't it be nice if someone made a true commercial quality machine with all the good features of the yellow machines - but at about half the size.... The M59 comes close, but lacks an extendahoe and a cab. One of the reasons I bought a JD310 this year was just curiosity about how it actually compares to the M59. Both machines were made the same year. I'm a mechanic/machinist/engineer hence the curiosity factor is important. It's too early for more than first impressions, but what I'm feeling so far is surprise at how either can do most of the same work. Worked at full speed and capability the 310 should be capable of getting twice or three times the work done in the same time, but as a hobbyist I work at my pace rather than the machine's capability so the ultimate ability doesn't count for as much as it might.

One obvious difference is that the JD310 uses a lot of cast components where the same part on the M59 is made from laser-cut steel components that are then jig welded. That accounts for a lot of the difference in weight - casting a part in steel being a more massive way to get similar strength.
luck, rScotty

Scotty,
Unless you have a lot of digging to do, that JD 310 (Must be Nice!) is probably better suited than a track excavator. My machine is fairly versatile, as it has the offset boom, thumb & push blade. Still it is best working a small area or better still just one spot. Speed wise it will out dig a BH but is probably no stronger than your 310. In fact the swing torque sucks. A digger digs. In 30 minutes I can make a pile that takes me 4-6 hours to move the spoils with the L39. The only thing that is a problem with a 310 is that I bet it must be thirsty, and on soft ground, bye bye, down you got. The loader must be really nice with the lift and breakout power.

PS I'm a mechanical engineer, mechanic, a bit of a machisist, but not much of a welder. Owning an old excavator is not for the faint of heart. Parts are stupid expensive, but not as bad as a Dozer. I suspect a JD310 is not much worse than Kubota on parts.

Also this is my wife's next thing. (See Photo)

Attachments

• All Beef patties in a Seasme Seed Bun .jpg
    All Beef patties in a Seasme Seed Bun .jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 124
   / L39_ Sure helps to have some weight and wider rear track
Getting the pasture ready for the cattle

Really Styrofoam rocks, just like the props in a B movie science fiction Monster flick, cant weigh more than 50 Lbs.
I'm using the rocks to line the edges of a ditch and culvert about 30 Long. I needed to haul about 6 Loads
There were also about a dozen boulders, from just under a ton to a few hundred pounds I hauled out of the woods.
I was going to use my excavator, but the batteries are dead again, so I used the L39 Hoe and my back.
I need a pair Group 24 batteries, one battery with reversed terminals, the other standard. I知 thinking marine duty.
Recommendations as to a deal or brand appreciated.
I致e got to put about $1,000 in DIY maintenance soon as the L39 Needs Fluids and Filters, A Several hydraulic hoses are weeping. That and the Excavator batteries are going to hurt my pocket a bit.

Attachments

• P1020802.jpg
    P1020802.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 130
  • P1020803.jpg
    P1020803.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 131