L4240HSTC engine oil capacity?

/ L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #2  
Manual says 8.7 quarts with filter for 3940/4240/4740

/ L4240HSTC engine oil capacity?
Manual says 8.7 quarts with filter for 3940/4240/4740

I added 2 gallons expecting to top it off with more and it was over full.
I removed 16-18 ozs so Im guessing this one is 7.5 qts.
Its a unmolested low hour unit.
Can anyone confirm the amount needed to actually fill your L40 series?

Edit: light came on in my head. This mule belonged to an elderly gentleman and he only used it with a 3pt finish mower. Oil looked pretty dirty. I suspect its s got some sludge build up, OR I just didnt have it hot enough which could account for the discrepancy. I will change the oil again before winter and pay close attention to it.

Last edited:
   / L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #4  
If it’s 4wd and the shaft goes in the middle of the oil pan like the M7040, there a 2 drain plugs on the oil pan. That might be where the oil difference is. First time I serviced the M7040 I drained the first plug and and cleaned the mud off the oil pan and found the second plug. I went and got the book just to make sure cause that was the first 4wd tractor I had ever serviced in 20 years. I also noticed if I do it by the manual, it doesn’t put it on the full mark, it puts it in between add and full.

If it’s 4wd and the shaft goes in the middle of the oil pan like the M7040, there a 2 drain plugs on the oil pan. That might be where the oil difference is. First time I serviced the M7040 I drained the first plug and and cleaned the mud off the oil pan and found the second plug. I went and got the book just to make sure cause that was the first 4wd tractor I had ever serviced in 20 years. I also noticed if I do it by the manual, it doesn’t put it on the full mark, it puts it in between add and full.

Yep, pulled both drain plugs. This is my third 4 wheel drive tractor so Im familiar with the two sump oil pans. Im baffled, guess I won’t know until next time I change the oil, unless a 40 series owner chimes in.

/ L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #6  
Ill try to remember to check tonight how much my L3940 takes. Usually i write it in my log. I just bought oil and filters for a change.

/ L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #7  
L4240 Manual states 8.7 quarts with filter change.

After filling it with oil, did you start it, so the filter could fill?

Of course I ran it after changing the oil and filter. Then checked for leaks & shut it down and checked oil level.

/ L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #9  
My notes say i used 7 qts last change for my L3940. I probably topped with a little more, so 7.5 probably about right. Ill know soon, need to change mine.

Last edited:
   / L4240HSTC engine oil capacity? #10  
I just changed mine last week, it is a L4240HST (no C). I drained both reservoirs and changed the filter. I put in just shy of 2 gallons to make full. I have 1025 hrs on the tractor which was bought new in '07 or '08.

Mike